Chapter 5

Olivia sighed as she walked in her Defense Against the Dark Arts class and sat next to Neville.

Gilderoy Lockhart paced before the class as Hermione and the other girls hung on him every word. While Harry and Ron eyed the large, covered cage that was rattling mysteriously on his desk.

Olivia had charmed a pair of earbuds, so she could listen to music in class without anyone knowing. It had worked in every class but Potions, but she knew she was pushing her limits. 

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher. Me. Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League and five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award -- But I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!" Lockhart awaited laughter, but only a few students smile weakly.

Liv tried not to roll her eyes at him, she knew he didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee. All his books were rubbish.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books. Well done. I thought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry about. Just to check how well you've read them, how much you've taken in." Lockhart begin to circulate papers around the room. Harry, Olivia and Ron examined the questions.

"Look at these questions. They're all about him." Olivia overheard Ron whispering to Harry. Olivia looked down at her quiz.

'What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?'

'What is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?'

'When is Gilderoy Lockhart's birthday and what would his ideal gift be?'

"You have thirty minutes. Start -- now!" Olivia picked up her quill, she ran to over her finger a couple of times, trying to think of the answer. She had overheard Hermione talk about him many times, so she started going through those conversations.

After thirty minute were up; Lockhart rifled through the completed exams. "Tut, tut. Hardly any of you remembered my favorite color is lilac. But Miss Hermione Granger and Olivia Snape knew that my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair care potions. Good girls." Hermione beamed and Olivia smiled weakly, she wanted to go to the barn area and mess around with the animals.

Lockhart's expression suddenly darkened. "Now... be warned! It is my job to arm you against the foulest creatures known to wizardkind! You may find yourself facing your own worst fears in this room. Know only that no harm can befall you whilst I am here." With a showman's flair, Lockhart turned slowly to the cage.

"This is going to end badly." Olivia muttered to herself and Neville.

"I must ask you not to scream. It might provoke them." A pale looking Neville drew back. Harry and Ron leaned forward as Lockhart let the tension build, then whipped off the cover.

Liv grabbed her wand, and took out her invisible earbuds.

Inside the cage were several electric blue creatures. Eight inches tall, with pointed faces and wings, they rattled the bars and pulled bizarre faces at the students.

"Cornish pixies?" Neville asked and Lockhart nodded.

"Freshly caught Cornish pixies." Unable to control himself, Seamus snorted with laughter.

"Laugh if you will, Mr. Finnegan, but pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters. Let's see what you make of them now!" Olivia dropped down and covered her head.

Lockhart flung open the cage and in a instant, the pixies rocketed about, spraying the students with ink bottles, breaking beakers and shredding books. Two seized Neville by the ears and lifted him into the air, and begin to circle the ceiling.