Chapter 24

With Fawkes gliding gracefully ahead of them, Harry and Ginny made their way back. Olivia in Harry's arms, still asleep.

Harry looked down at Olivia. Her eyes were still closed and it looked like she was dead. He feared that Fawkes was to late.

Up ahead, shifting rock can be heard and a jagged fissure of light glimmered. Ron's face appeared. "Ginny!" Ron wriggled through and rushed forward and hugged Ginny.

"You're alive. I can't believe it." Ron kept an arm around Ginny.

"I'm going to be expelled, I just know it!" Ginny cried out and Harry kept his eyes on Olivia.

"Remind you of anyone?" Ron asked and his eyes trailed down to see Olivia. "Is Olivia ok, Harry?" Ron asked but Harry avoided his question.

"Where's Lockhart?" Harry eyed Lockhart, sitting by himself, humming placidly.

"His Memory Charm backfired. Hasn't got a clue who he is. I keep having to stop him wandering off. He's a danger to himself." Ron told him eyes still on the unconscious girl.

"Hello. Odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?" Lockhart asked and if Olivia was awake she would have laughed.

"No." Ron turned and raised his eyebrows at Harry. Harry looked upward. There was an opening, hundreds of feet up.

Just then, Fawkes circled back, fluttering in front of Harry. "What's with the bird?" Ron asked and Harry shrugged.

"I think... I think he's telling me he can take us out of here." A curious, gliding shadow rippled across the cavernous wall, and then Harry, Ron, Ginny and Lockhart soared out of the darkness, linked hand in hand. Fawkes was flying them home.

"Amazing! This is just like magic!" Harry and Ron, covered in muck and slime stood in Dumbledore's office.

Fawkes perched on a pedestal behind Dumbledore, who sat at his desk, examining the charred diary. He looked up and regarded Harry and Ron gravely. "Ingenious. Simply... ingenious." Dumbledore looked up.

"Of course, Tom Riddle was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. I taught him myself fifty years ago. After he left, I would occasionally hear stories of his activities dark rumors but after awhile, even the rumors stopped. When he finally resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, most people had completely forgotten the clever Head Boy he'd once been."

"I didn't know whose diary it was, sir. I swear. I found it inside my cauldron." She turned to the others. "The day we all went to Diagon Alley." Hearing this, Harry frowned in thought, recollecting. He looked down at his sister, she would know who put the book in the Cauldron.

"But I understand if... given all the trouble I've caused... if you --" Dumbledore cut her off before looking down at the girl still in Harry's arms.

"Wiser wizards than you have been hoodwinked by Lord Voldemort, Miss Weasley. No, I think you've endured enough. I would suggest an bit of bed rest, however. And perhaps a large mug of hot chocolate. I always find that cheers me up. Minerva, will you show Arthur and Molly up to then hospital wing? And can you take miss Snape with you." Dumbledore told McGonagall who nodded.

Harry gently handed Olivia over. "Certainly, Albus." As they exited, Harry and Ron watched them go. Mrs. Weasley's voice carried.

"A diary that writes back to you! Honestly, Ginny! What were you thinking? Haven't I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain!" Harry and Ron turned back. Seeing Dumbledore regarding them gravely.

"You two realize, of course, that in the last few hours, you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules?" Dumbledore asked and they nodded.

"Yes, sir."