six

"fuck!"

mackenzie flew out of the tub, away from the cold ass water that was coming out of the shower head. she forgot that it gets cold before turning hot. maybe it's just because she's too tired to think straight considering it's 6 am on a monday morning. last night after shopping, she was too tired to shower and went straight to bed without dinner.

her stomach rumbles at the thought of food but she shrugs off the hunger and gets back in the shower, the warm water now pouring down onto her. mackenzie wastes no times in washing her hair and then conditioning it both products being strawberry scented. the sweet smell fills the bathroom, a hint of coconut being added thanks to her body wash.

after cleansing herself, she shaved her underarms and legs, smothering both parts with in shower moisturiser afterwards.

mackenzie stops the water, grabbing a warm thick towel off of the heater. she wraps it around herself before climbing out. her hand wipes away any condensation on her mirror before taking out the pink toothbrush. she brushes her teeth and then proceeds to get her blow dryer out of a purple storage bin under her bathroom counter.

taking the blow dryer and a few other hair/ skin products into her bedroom, mackenzie changes into a pair of pyjama shorts and clips on one of her many black bra's. she sits at her vanity, blow drying her hair and listening to johnny's playlist that he insisted she listen to because apparently she needed to be educated on what "real music" is. but mackenzie can tell that it  definitely isn't drake.

     when her hair is dry again, mackenzie takes out her curling wand and begins to loosely curl the ends of her already wavy hair. she sprays some hairspray onto it before opening up her drawer to reveal all the make up products maddie had given her before she left for college. there were pallets and foundation, concealers , and setting sprays. none of which mackenzie knew what to do with.

      she took her phone out of the charger cord and opened up the youtube app, typing in "make up tutorials" and tapping on the first video that loaded.

    an obnoxious voice spoke to the camera.

     "hi sisters!"

    mackenzie watches the video, trying to keep up with the boy named james. he spoke too quickly for her but somehow she managed to finish, looking better than she did half an hour ago. mackenzie does some finishing touches, applying more highlighter because she's now become obsessed with the product and spraying her face with what is essentially, water in a bottle. it feels good though.

the still very tired girl stands up and walks over to her closet, sliding open the mirror to reveal her many sections of clothes that she spent at least an hour organising and hanging last night. mackenzie takes out white cropped top she bought from brandy melville, the one with the old blue car on the front. she pairs the new top with washed out, blue high waisted jeans and a pair of white converse.

    a car horn beeps form outside and mackenzie knows it's johnny, waiting to take her to school. apparently, it's vital that they walk in together, to show people that they really are "dating".

     mackenzie picks up her bag and phone, closing her room door after her as she makes her way downstairs and out the front door. she doesn't bother locking it as there's some staff her parents hired to clean the house going to be in all day.

      johnny sits in his jeep, his eyes glued to his phone screen while scrolling down his instagram feed, only double taping a few pics, most of them are his friends but the rest are meme pages he follows.

     snapping out of his social media daze, johnny turns his head when the sound of his car door closing fills his ears. his green eyes lock with mackenzie's brown ones and it's fair to say his breathe sure did catch in the back of his throat.

       "what? is this alright? do i look okay?" she questions, unable to read the look johnny is wearing.

      he blinks, clearing his throat and tightening his grip on the steering wheel as he reverses out of her driveway.

    "you look pretty ziegler" he smiles to which she rolls her yes playfully.

     "now now, we're not supposed to fall in love for real, remember?" she teases, earning herself a nudge from the boy driving.

      johnny turns up the music, enjoying the disgusted face mackenzie pulls when drake comes blaring out of the radio system. he knows she doesn't like his music but he does and it's his car so she can't do nothing about it.

     "do we really need to listen to this trash?" she sighs, slumping in her seat. johnny gasps, glancing at her for only a second.

     "i'll have you know that drakes fine ass music saved us all" he says.

      "you're delusional" she replies.

     "and you're ugly".

     mackenzie shoves his shoulder, crossing her arms and johnny laughs hysterically. if she's so ugly then why did he pick her to be his fake girlfriend.

      hoping out of the car after johnny parks it, mackenzie stands awkwardly for a moment as she looks at all the students in the parking lot and outside the school that are staring at she and johnny, probably hella confused as to why they're together.

    mackenzie jumps slightly, her head looking down at her hand that johnny now holds in his own. their hands fit perfectly together and it sends goosebumps up her arm. she's never held hands with a boy before, except sage of course but he doesn't really count.

     "is this okay?" johnny asks. the last thing he wants is for her to be uncomfortable.

     she smiles, nodding her head.

        "okay, let's do this" he mutters, walking towards the school entrance. 

     mackenzie keeps her head high, smiling at the students she and johnny pass on their way into the building. she hears them whispering, some thinking they're still dreaming. is it really that unbelievable that she and johnny are together?

     having all eyes on her for once fells kinda good. it makes her feel less invisible but how long will it last?

________________________________________________________________________