eighteen

mackenzie was instantly welcomed with a warm hug from lauren as she stepped inside the orlando's home. it wasn't too big but not too small either, it was cosy and screamed family. it made mackenzie a little jealous, how it smelled of cookies and radiated warmth. it was everything she'd ever want her own home to be. if only her parents weren't gone so much.

      "you're sitting next to me" the blonde girl in a black dress insists, pulling mackenzie further into her home.

     johnny chuckles as mackenzie sends him a look, asking him to help her. he's happy that lauren and mackenzie get along. it's nice.

      lauren guides mackenzie into the living room where the fire is burning away and there's a movie playing on the tv. two other blonde girls, both as gorgeous as lauren, sit on the couches comfortably.

     "maddie, darian, mackenzie has arrived" lauren beams, grabbing her older sisters' attention. both girls smile, their pearly white set of teeth showing.

      "hi" one of them greets, she's wearing jeans and an expensive looking hoodie. "i'm darian".

     mackenzie nods, shaking her hand. "mackenzie but you can call me kenzie".

      "you're adorable, so pretty and short! so cute!" the girl who must be maddie declares, gushing over mackenzie's appearance.

      giggling at all the fuss johnny's sisters are making over her, mackenzie can't help but wear her own grin, it growing by the second.

       there's a few shuffling and noises of plates being set in the room next to them, curious, mackenzie peeks her head in to see johnny and a woman with blonde hair, setting the table. the woman studies the plates for a second, trying to remember where they go. johnny sees the woman struggle and smiles sadly, helping her out.

        "let's eat shall we?" lauren suggests, her gaze following mackenzie's. she knows how hard it must be for her brother to bring a girl home, especially mackenzie. johnny doesn't bring any girl home. sometimes not even his friends either.

        mackenzie nods, following lauren as she and her sisters spill into the dinning room. lauren takes a seat and darian opts for the chair across the table. mackenzie sits beside lauren, the blonde girl grinning at her choice of seating.

       there's no sign of johnny nor the woman mackenzie saw only moments ago. a hand is placed on mackenzie's shoulder and the contact seems to surprise her but she relaxes when her brown orbs meet johnny's green ones. she smiles.

       "there's someone i want you to meet" he speaks, his voice low even though he knows his siblings are waiting patiently to see what happens in the next few minutes.

         "oh, okay" she says, getting out of her seat and being escorted out of the room.

     johnny takes mackenzie's hand in his, she enjoys the simple act and squeezes his hand only a little. they make their way into the living room once again where a man and the same woman from earlier are standing.

       "dad, this is mackenzie" johnny speaks, clearing his throat.

     the man with short brown hair and tanned skin turns around, greeting his son and mackenzie with a smile. mackenzie can't help but look at his smile. do all the orlando's have perfect teeth? are they all this cheerful?

      "hello sir" mackenzie greets, extending her arm for him to shake.

    johnny's father dale however has other plans. he engulfs the shorter girl in a warm hug, rubbing her back gently as he speaks.