nineteen

there's a long pause. mackenzie tries to wrap her head around what johnny just told her but she struggles to process it all. frontotemporal dementia?

"basically it's just an even more aggressive form of dementia and it's one that all ages can have" johnny sighs, his voice clear but low.

he doesn't dare look mackenzie's way as he talks. this is exactly the reason why he didn't want her meeting his family. meeting his mom. his mom's not healthy enough to meet new people. she hasn't been out of the house in years. it's hard sometimes.

"why didn't you tell me? why not explain to me about your mom?" she asks him softly, her heart breaking at the sight of him. he looks lost.

"because i don't want people finding out that 'mr populars' life isn't as perfect as everyone thinks it is" he mumbles but she still hears.

"johnny i wouldn't have told anyone" she replies, a little hurt that he thinks she'd betray him like that. but right now isn't about her or her feelings.

"i know that but i also didn't want you looking at me like you are right now" he tells her, only now looking at mackenzie just so he can confirm that he was right to be scared.

her eyes are filled with sympathy and she stares at him with a look of pity. something he never wanted her to do.

understanding what he means, she nods, wiping the look off of her face. she replaced it with a smile, an idea growing in her head.

"we can go inside, watch a few movies and forget about tonight?" she suggests, trying to take his mind off of things.

he shrugs, sighing once more.

"no, i better head home" he whispers.

mackenzie frowns, taking his hand that grips the steering wheel into her own. johnny glances up at her, mackenzie's smile making his stomach do somersaults.

"please stay, you said that you would" she reminds him, referring to when they first became friends only weeks ago.

johnny smiles back, nodding his head. he did promise her and if he's being completely honest, he'd rather be with mackenzie right now than having to face his problems back at home.

getting out of the car, johnny waits for mackenzie before intertwining their hands. she unlocks the door, both of them being greeted by an excited maliboo.

     johnny and the eager dog sit on the couch as mackenzie makes her way into the kitchen. tonight has been stressful to the max and they both need something to help them unwind. it's a shame her dad keeps all the good booze locked away in his study though because she could really fuck with a double vodka on the rocks right now.

       remembering her mom put some beers into the pantry before leaving, mackenzie opens it up and reaches inside to fetch them. she doesn't bother taking them out , they'll have more than one anyway so may as well drink the full box.

returning to the living room to see johnny rolling around the living room floor with maliboo makes mackenzie smile giddily. they're adorable.

"momma got some beers" mackenzie announces, throwing the heavy box onto johnny's stomach softly. he groans, the beers crushing his rib cage.

"mommas an asshole" he says, his voice deep and sore.

"stop being a baby, let's go to my room" she instructs, making her way up the staircase. johnny does as he's told and follows behind, the case of beers tucked away under his arm.

when he enters mackenzie's bedroom, she's in her bathroom probably changing into pyjamas or something. he takes this opportunity to get himself changed. he left his bag of clothes here that one night he stayed over and mackenzie being mackenzie, washed them for him. he spots his clothes in the love sac and takes off his shirt before pulling down his jeans and putting on his grey sweatpants. he sighs, his legs being able to breathe again.

the door opens and out walks mackenzie. she's wearing red shorts and a mickey mouse tshirt that hugs her perfectly. she still has her contacts in but her hair has been pulled into a neat ponytail. her eyes wonder to johnny's exposed torso and she trails her eyes up to his chest, her mouth gaping open at his toned body.

"it's rude to stare kenz" he teases her, catching her eyes hovering just a little longer than they should. mackenzie hits his arm playfully, her hand still on his arm.

     "come one loser, let's drink some beer".

________________________________________________________________________

   u ain't ready for the
next chap