twenty foUr

the bright flood lights shine down onto the football field below. family members, students, and teachers all spread out amounts the bleachers surrounding the field. cold gusts of wind paint their cheeks a light tint of pink.

in he boys locker room, the team crowd around with johnny in the centre of them. the boy hasn't stopped sulking about what happened last night. every time he closes his eyes he sees the way mackenzie looked at him when she walked into the room and he can still hear her voice, the way it trembled when she spoke. it killed him.

     "john? johnny!".

     he looks to his right, snapping out of his thoughts. his eyes connect with hayden's and he looked concerned for his best friend. after the party, johnny told hayden and carson everything.

       "sorry" he mumbles.

     "everybody know the plays?" carson asks, stepping up. he understands that johnny's head isn't in the right place but he needs to get it together, his life depends on it.

      when their teammates nod, everyone chants "go cyclones" before breaking off and exiting the locker room, ready to play their most important game of the season.

      johnny ties his shoes and gets ready to leave but is quickly stopped by his best friends. he sighs, crossing his arms as he looks at them, a bored expression on his face.

"you okay?" hayden asks, still concerned for the boy.

     johnny nods sadly. he is far from okay but right now he has to put on a smile and play the game. he has to win. for himself and for his teammates.

      "it'll be okay johnny, she'll come around" carson tells him, patting his back as the three make their way out.

     johnny shrugs, shifting his focus onto the game. it's important that he plays his best. college is riding on it and so is his chance to make his mom proud.

    "i'll worry about kenz later, right now we have a game to win and some asses to kick" he smirks, putting on a show.

     carson and hayden cheer but they both know how johnny really feels. it's written all over his face. he misses her and it's only been 19 hours.

      the team run onto the field, everyone cheering for them, except for the opposite teams supporters obviously.

     annie, lauren and kenzie stand, cheering their friends on, mackenzie feels weird being here but although she and johnny might not be together, she know he's going to need all the support he can get tonight.

     "well i think it's mature, still cheering on your ex" annie says matter of factly. mackenzie smiles sadly.

         lauren waves around the poster she made earlier in third period for the boys.

     on the field, johnny huddles his team together, going over the plays one more time before the coach blows the whistle and the game starts.

     at half time, millwood are winning by three points thanks to hayden and joey birlem of all people. johnny has been focusing on being a good team mate instead of scoring all the goals. the second half is when he's going to shine.

     the whistle blows once more, crowds erupting into cheers and clapping. johnny runs behind the opposite team, letting carson - who has possession of the ball- know that he's open. carson nods, throwing the ball at johnny who catches it with ease, midway in the air. when he lands, johnny sprints as fast as he can, dodging all the players that come at him. he jumps over one of them and rolls as he lands. he sighs with relief when he sees that he scored, the millwood supporters going wild.