thirteen

"so are you going to tell me what that was about?"

    johnny and mackenzie sit in his car that's parked in mackenzie's driveway. they just got back from carson's and johnny thinks he's owed an explanation.

     playing dumb, mackenzie twists her mouth. "what was what about?" she asks, unbuckling her seatbelt.

     johnny stops her, putting his hands over hers. the sudden contact with the green eyed boy makes mackenzie's stomach do flips. she doesn't want to meet his gaze in fear she might do something she'll regret. like earlier. but does she really regret kissing him?

     "kenz" is all johnny has to say for her to stop acting like she has no clue. she sighs, feeling defeated.

      "brynn was being a bitch so i put her in her place" she pouts, ready for johnny to start yelling at her. brynn is his friend after all.

    instead of causing world war three, johnny simply smiles, bringing his hand up to mackenzie's cheek. she's surprised by this but doesn't let him know how much it's affecting her. she swore that she wouldn't end up like the others girls he's been with. she doesn't want that for herself.

    "that's my girl" johnny says softly, his thumb grazing her cheek gently.

        there's a long pause before he leans away, starting his jeep up again. confused, mackenzie looks at him. wasn't he staying? not that she cared of course but he said he was.

     "i'll pick you up for school in the morning okay?" he says, mackenzie nodding her head.

    she sighs, taking off her seatbelt and slipping out of the car. she doesn't look back at johnny who's watching her, making sure she gets in okay. when she's out of his sight, he drives off, disappearing.

   after putting away her coat and shoes, mackenzie makes her way into the kitchen. the only light is the moonlight that's seeping through the kitchen window. she switches the light on, making her way towards the pantry.

   while mackenzie waits on her popcorn, she puts on the tv and gathers a few of her blankets, setting them out on the couch. she pets maliboo who is barking at the front door. it kind of creeps her out until there's a knock.

     curious as to who would be at her door this late on a school night, mackenzie walks over, unlocking the door before opening it, surprised to see hayden standing on her front patio.

      "hayden?" she asks, causing the curly haired boy to look up from the ground.

    he looks surprised that she answered but happy that she did.

      "kenzie! hi" he smiles, nervous butterflies growing inside of him.

      "what are you doing here?" mackenzie asks, leaning against her door. she's confused as to why hayden summerall would be at her house.

      "i need your help, wanna go for a car ride? i'll buy you ice cream from bennys like when we were little" he offers, knowing she couldn't refuse a bennys ice cream cone, those were the best.

       "okay sure" mackenzie giggles, looking back inside. "let me just put everything away" she says, pulling the boy inside.

      hayden nods, watching as mackenzie rushes around her very large and fancy living room filled with expensive stuff and foreign objects. she disappears into the kitchen, putting her popcorn into a bowl and leaving in on the counter. after putting on her shoes and a sweatshirt, mackenzie is ready to leave. she returns to see hayden giving maliboo belly rubs. she always did like him better than mackenzie.

     "ready?" hayden asks the brown eyed girl in front of him. she nods eagerly, already tasting the peanut butter ice cream.

     hayden guides her to the front door, his hand on her upper back. she locks the door before following hayden to his car. they both strap in and start to drive. hayden reaches for the aux cord before handing it over to mackenzie.

      "can i play one direction?" she questions.

      "i'd be offended if you didn't" he laughs.

      happy he said yes, she wastes no time in playing the midnight memories album, one of their best.

     she and hayden sing along to the lyrics of best song ever, hayden never being able to hit the high notes correctly which only causes mackenzie to burst out in a fit of uncontrollable laughter. she's never hung out with hayden like this before. when they were kids they hung out all the time but high school changed them both and now they're just friendly neighbours. but that isn't what mackenzie nor hayden wants. they want to be friends. just like old times.

        "hi, i'll have one peanut butter waffle cone and a large tub of chocolate swirl please" hayden's speaks into the drive they speaker.

    they drive up to the window, hayden pays the lady before handing mackenzie her ice cream. she thanks him, quickly licking the dripping ice cream before it gets messy.

       hayden parks in the car park, letting them both enjoy their dairy goodness. there's a small silence but it's very comfortable. little things plays softly in the background.

       "so, what do you need my help with" mackenzie asks, crossing her legs into a basket. she faces hayden who's staring out the front window.

       "well, you see, i know you and me haven't been the closest of friends recently-"

    "that's one way of putting it" mackenzie interrupts.

    hayden gives her a stern look but laughs anyway. he knows she's right. their friendship went downhill and it's his fault. he went to the freaking dark side and left her alone.

      "and i'm sorry about that" he continues. "but i'll always remember you as my first best friend and best friends are supposed to be there for each other right?" he asks to which she nods in response

      "well kenzie right now i need you to be here for me and give me some advice, i need you to help me" he says calmly.

      "but what about johnny? he's your actual best friend, why can't he help?" mackenzie asks, curious as to why he wouldn't turn to johnny for help. it's very unusual.

    "because johnny and carson's advice on this sort of stuff sucks ass and they don't know what they're talking about" he rants.

        "okay okay fine, tell me what's up" she smiles.

     "i'm in love with annie and i need you to help me ask her out".

________________________________________________________________________
hannie rising
bitch