sixteen

mackenzie and lauren give their full attention to annie who is currently gushing about how hayden asked her out this weekend and how magical it all was, mackenzie was imagining it all in her head, she of course knew about it before annie but hearing her thoughts about it made it all that much more magical.

     "wow annie, you're so lucky" lauren smiles, happy for her friend.

       johnny, carson, and hayden come into the lunchroom, laughing about something that must have happened at practice. when they reach the table, they scatter out amongst the three girls that are already seated. mackenzie smiles as johnny sits down beside her. she sees nadia and brynn walk in, an idea instantly coming to mind.

       mackenzie turns her head to face johnny, a bright eager glowing smile on her face. johnny's a little surprised about how happy she is to see him but he's not complaining.

      "hi" she greets him, not letting him greet her back as she plants her lips on his, johnny smirking into the long kiss. their friends around them watch, amused and surprised. they've never done this sort of thing in front of people before.

     mackenzie pulls away, a smirk on her face as she looks over at nadia and brynn who both look like they're about to kill her. she shrugs, leaning into johnny's side just to be even more petty towards them.

      when nobody's looking, johnny wraps an arm around her, his hand resting on her shoulder.

       "what was that all about?" he whispers into her ear.

      "just putting on a show for our friends over there" she replies, looking up at him. johnny looks over at the table brynn and nadia sit at. they look totally pissed. nothing new.

     the boy smiles down at mackenzie but he can't help but feel a little sad. a small part of him had hoped that she meant the kiss. not that she done it for nadias benefit. to be honest, for the past few weeks that he and mackenzie have been friends and in this whole fakeationship thing, he's completely forgotten all about wanting to get nadia back. is that even what he wants anymore?

       "john? you okay?" mackenzie ask, worried at how he spaced out. he snaps out of his thoughts, nodding his head.

       "yeah, i'm just going to my locker, see you later" he says, standing up and throwing away his trash.

     mackenzie frowns, feeling like there's something he's not telling her. he's been a little distant ever since they kissed in her kitchen last week. it wasn't awkward afterwards and they both knew it was an 'in the moment' thing but for kenzie, it was more than that. she felt something. she just can't put her finger on what exactly.

     johnny gulps his water, putting in his locker combo and throwing his textbooks inside. he glances to his left quickly, taking a double look when he sees sage standing across the hall at his own locker. he thinks about going over to talk to him.

     "hey, sage!" he yells a little, grabbing the boys attention. sage rolls his eyes, beginning to walk away.

      johnny doesn't let him get away though and he's hot on his tail. when he catches up to him, he stands in his way, causing him to stand still, sighing.

      "is this the part where you beat me up?" he asks, unbothered by him.

     "what?" johnny asks, his brows creased. "no obviously not, look i just wanna talk" he says calmly.

     sage looks surprised but let's him carry on talking anyway.

      "why are you ignoring mackenzie? she misses you like mad and it's upsetting her that her best friend isn't there for her" johnny explains. if he can get an answer from sage then perhaps he can sort stuff out and sage will talk to mackenzie and she'll be happy again.

      "oh i will be there for her" sage tells him, his voice laced with anger. "when you break her heart, i'll be there to pick up the pieces but jntil you do, i refuse to stand next to her and watch as she falls for the biggest asshole in school".

     johnny is more than taken aback. break her heart? mackenzie falling in love? with him?

       "what are you talking about?" he asks the angry boy in front of him.

      "oh come on johnny, open your eyes. i see the way she looks at you,it's the same way you look at her. you're falling for each other and i don't blame you. she's an amazing girl with so much to offer but you!" he says, stabbing him in the chest with his index finger. "you don't deserve her love".

       johnny chuckles, only making sage more angry.

     "she's not in love with me sage, only a few weeks ago she despised me. she tolerates me okay? we're friends now, nothing else" johnny mutters.

     sage notices how quiet he got.

     "look johnny. you know that you'll hurt her so i'm begging you as her best friend to stop leading her on. stop making her think that you're mr perfect. sooner or later you're going to lose that feeling you have for her and realise that it was only there because you were spending so much time with her. you don't love mackenzie. you never did and never will. you love yourself. and booze and football and hanging with the guys and especially getting laid every weekend by a different girl. you're not boyfriend material. and you're no good for mackenzie" sage rants.

      johnny feels himself tearing up, causing him to get angry with himself. why is he crying? and especially in front of sage.

      "just hurry up and finish stuff with her so i can be there again" sage demands before walking off.

     feeling empty, johnny slides down the locker, ignoring the few looks people give him as they walk past.

   sage was right.

      he is falling for mackenzie but he doesn't deserve her. he never will.

________________________________________________________________________
hands up if u hate
sage
(not irl bc he's a soft baby
who i love with my whole
heart fucc u if u hate on him bitch)