ten

the 7am morning sun shone in through mackenzie's window. she had forgotten to close the curtains over properly last night therefore letting the bright sunlight spill throughout her bedroom. slowly opening her eyes, letting them adjust to the bright light, she blinks, her gaze falling on the love sac where johnny seems to still be asleep. burying herself into her warm comforter more, she looks at the sleepy boy, watching as his chest slowly rises and falls and how his lips are only slightly parted but he's breathing out of his nose and isn't snoring which was surprising to mackenzie.

she quickly closes her own eyes when she sees the boy stir in his sleep, his face scrunches up before opening his own eyes.

"kenz? you awake?" he says while stretching. sleeping on mackenzie's love sac has been a very comfortable experience for him.

mackenzie opens her eyes again, nodding at the boy who's looking at her, his face pressed against the spare duvet she gave him last night. she did offer him the guest room but he didn't want to be alone and again, she didn't question it.

"do we have to go to school?" he whines, earning a small laugh from the sleepy girl across the room.

"yup, come on let's go, i'll make breakfast" she says, throwing the warm blankets off of her. johnny watches as she climbs out of bed. she's wearing an oversized sweatshirt and a pair of pyjama shorts with cute little elephants on them.

"nice shorts ziegler" johnny chuckles.

mackenzie glares at him, picking up one of her pillows and throwing them at his stupid head. she knows he's just messing with her but she now feels very self conscious. she always does when it comes to her body.

grabbing her robe, mackenzie puts it on, tightening it. johnny doesn't fail to notice this and he quickly stands beside her, untying the rope gently as mackenzie watches, too confused to stop him.

"w-what are you doing?" she stutters only slightly. this is the second time she's been this close to the boy and still her heart seems to be going 100mph. but why? it's only johnny.

"don't cover up" he smiles gently. and it isn't a flirtatious smile or a sleazy one. it's a kind one. one she's never really seen him wear before.

"you don't have to cover up kenz, you're beautiful okay?" he smiles larger, ruffling her hair before walking past her and into the bathroom.

fuck. what just happened?

trying to regain her thoughts, mackenzie grabs her outfit for today and gets dressed in maddie's old bedroom before making her way down stairs and and into the kitchen, petting maliboo before opening up the fridge and picking out a few ingredients. both she and johnny have a free period this morning so they can have a big breakfast and not have to worry about being late.

mackenzie cracks a few eggs into a frying pan, putting the shells into the trash can beside her afterwards. she then moves onto the bacon and puts a few slices of bread into the toaster. she hums as she cooks the breakfasts foods, making some waffle mixture in between flipping over the bacon and scrambling up the eggs.

"that smells so good" johnny chuckles, walking into the kitchen and sitting on the bar stool in front of where mackenzie is busy cooking.

she gives him a warm smile, putting the cooked food onto paper towels, taking off the little grease that's left before putting them onto the plates.

     "here we go, do want any butter? syrup? fruit?" she questions, motioning towards the waffles that sit on a separate plate.

    johnny nods, his mouth already full with eggs and bacon. mackenzie giggles, opening the fridge back up before reaching inside and taking out the small butter tray as well as a few tubs of fruit and the bottle of maple syrup.

    she watches as johnny reaches for the syrup, pouring a lot onto the waffle that sits on his plate. mackenzie stares, wide eyed.

      "you really like syrup huh?" she laughs, cutting off a piece of her own after putting some strawberry's on top.

     johnny laughs after swallowing the sugary substance, his head nodding. "well i am canadian, it's kinda expected" he tells her.

mackenzie's head tilts. he's canadian? what? how come she never knew that? she thinks for a moment. they really don't know each other that well.

"hey can i ask you a question"
johnny says, bringing mackenzie out of her daze. she blinks a few times before nodding her head, a smile making its way onto her lips.

"what's the deal with you and sage? are you like friends with benefits or do you like him?" he asks, genuinely curious. johnny has always seen the two of them together. it's really rare for them not to be by each other's side so he can't help but wonder.

"oh. uh no, nothing, nothing like that at all" mackenzie insists, putting some hair behind her ear as she takes a sip of juice.

"really?" he pushes.

mackenzie sighs.

"sage and i, we've been best friends for so long and i do love him but he's more like my older protective brother than a boyfriend. he feels the same, i'm his little sister and we just get each other. he's my person" she smiles, as memories of her and sage come flooding back.

johnny nods, understanding what she means.

"okay come on, we don't wanna be late" mackenzie rushes, taking their dishes to the sink.

"have your parents already left for work?" johnny asks as he put his bag on. he runs a hand through his already messy hair.

"they left for work last week, they're in france for the next week or so" she shrugs, grabbing her own bag and her car keys. mackenzie can feel johnny's state on her as she walks out of the kitchen, him following behind closely.

"what? so you've been alone in this big ass house since then?" he asks her. it's not right that a young girl be left alone like that. who knows what kind of perverts could try to break in.

"i don't mind, it's become normal for me now" she says, locking the door as she and johnny step outside.

the cool morning breeze grazes her cheeks just enough to leave a pink tint behind. it's a little cold but the sun is still shining.

"but i don't like the idea of you living in that house alone, what if something goes wrong? what if something happens?" he says, getting into mackenzie's car.

she lets out a laugh, he's really cute when he's worried.

"john i'm fine, i've been doing this since i was 15" she replies, starting up the car and driving towards the school.

he shifts uncomfortably, shaking his head.

"if you want, i can come stay with you until your parents get back, i'll sleep in the guest room and won't bother you at all" he suggests. he really doesn't want her to be unsafe.

they just became friends. johnny can't lose her now because of some mad axe murdered.

she smiles sweetly, only glancing at the boy for a second before her eyes drift back to the road.

"you don't have to do that johnny, i'm perfectly fine on my own" she says.

"no, i want to. please kenz, i want to make sure that you're safe"'he pleads.

mackenzie has no idea where this sudden outburst is coming from. it's like he's a total new johnny. he isn't being cocky or sarcastic, he isn't rolling his eyes or smirking. he's being genuine and a good friend.

"okay, that would be nice" she finally agrees.

what's the worst that could happen? they're just friends anyway, right?

________________________________________________________________________
halloween town
is my SHIT