twenty-one

johnny ran a hand through his hair as he and hayden walked up the school steps. he's got a lot of shit on his mind right now. first there's his feeling for mackenzie that he didn't think he'd ever develop and not to mention the big game on friday night that's happening. the game that's going to determine where he goes for college.

"yo man you okay? been spacing out a lot today" hayden chuckles from beside him. the two best friends stop at johnny's locker.

the stressed boy shrugs. "yeah, just worried about the game" he sighs, putting in his locker combination.

      hayden pats johnny's shoulder in a comforting way. "you'll be great dude, you always are" he grins, finally getting a smile from johnny. the kids been in a slump all day.

       "aw cute! i ship johayden" a high pitched voice squeals from behind them. both boys turn their heads, their eyes simultaneously rolling when they see nadia walking towards them.

     she wears a mini skirt and a tight shirt, obviously trying to grab someone's attention. johnny mentally kicks himself for ever dating her and another kick for  thinking he wanted her back.

     "i'll let you two talk" hayden whispers before taking off. he disappears out of johnny's sight before the raged boy could kick his ass for leaving him alone with the she devil.

       nadia's tiny hand holds onto johnny's arm, she squeezes it, enjoying how his toned arms feel. whatta weirdo.

      johnny, unbothered by her, closes his locker door after getting everything he needs. he takes one look at her, his eyebrows raised in question.

       "listen babe, i'm not going to beat around the bush here, i want you back and i know you want me back too" nadia confesses, folding her arms.

     johnny scoffs, maybe a few weeks ago he did want her back, in fact, he wanted her back so bad that he made up a fake relationship just to make her jealous. but things have changed, he's changed. and so has his mind.

    "no thanks nadia, i'm happy with mackenzie" he tells her firmly, taking her hand off of his arm.

     the red head pouts, not liking being told no, especially not by johnny.

      "oh come on johnny, you know you still love me" she yells a little, causing the students that surround them to look.

      johnny sees annie and lauren walking down the hallway. if they see him with nadia, they'll tell kenzie and then kenzie will think that they're back together and that is not what he wants.

    quickly, he pulls her by the arm into the nearest janitors closet. what he doesn't know however, is that annie in fact did see the two of them go inside.

      "oh i get it, is this the part where we fool around and make up?" the green eyed girl questions, her voice teasing.

      "what?" johnny asks, his eyebrows creased. "no, it's the part where i tell you to stay away and that i don't want to get back together" he tells her firmly.

       still not liking the idea of being rejected, nadia makes a move, thinking that if she kisses him he won't be able to say no. but johnny reacts quickly and moves out of her way, causing nadia to fall on the ground, landing on a pile of toilet paper.

      "like i said nadia, stay away" he speaks clearly before opening the door and stepping outside. he smirks when a high pitched scream comes from the closet he was in only moments ago.

curious as to why johnny just walked out of a janitors closet, sage stood in his tracks, an idea forming in his head when he sees nadia come out only seconds later with a scowl spread across her face.

"turner" sage calls, chasing after the angry girl. she snaps her head back, scoffing when she sees sage behind her.

"leave me alone loser" she growls, pushing open the doors and taking a seat on the staircase. she blows into a tissue, sage making a grossed out face when she does. he stands by the door and makes sure nobody is near them.

     "i have a way for you to get johnny back" he tells her, earning himself her attention that she gives him straight away.

       she cocks her head to the side, her green eyes still puffy and a little crusty. "how" her voice croaks.

normally sage would feel sorry for someone who was crying but nadia isn't crying because she needs johnny back because she loves him, she's crying because she needs him back to maintain her popular status. without johnny by her side she'll be a nobody. he's a popular, very likeable guy, she's.....nadia.

      "i think it's time i let you in on a little secret" he speaks, his voice hinting.

     intrigued, nadia motions for him to sit down and he does, sitting his bag on the floor and turning to face the sniffling girl.

     "johnny and mackenzie aren't actually dating. they made a deal about a month ago. the deal was, mackenzie could use johnny to get information for her popularity research paper and in return, she'd be his fake girlfriend " sage explains, exposing johnny and mackenzie.

     nadia's eyes widen in shock.

      "but why would she pretend to be his girlfriend? johnny didn't even like the freak show until they started hanging out" she scoffs.

     sage tenses up at the nickname she gave mackenzie. they might not be on speaking terms but she's his best friend and he doesn't let anyone talk bad about her.

     "call her that one more time and i'll walk away and you'll never get your boy toy back" he grunts, clenching his teeth.

      nadia raises her hands in a mock surrender. god there's no need for him to be so uptight about it.

      "and to answer your question, she pretended to be his girlfriend to make you jealous because johnny wants you back" sage continues.

nadia rolls her eyes at his statement. maybe she would believe it if johnny hadn't just yelled at her for even thinking that getting back together was a possibility.

"no he doesn't, he loves her" she says, hatred in her tone.

shaking his head, sage puts a hand on her leg.

"no he loves you nadia. his head has only momentarily been turned but together, we can put it back into place. we can stop them from getting together for real" sage encourages.

nadias glossy eyes stare into his, confusion written all over her face. "why? why are you willing to help me? and surely if mackenzie actually has feelings for johnny, you'd want her to be happy" she speaks.

"he'll hurt her eventually and we both know that johnny is one person when he's here at school and with his friends and then a completely different guy when he's with her. what if one day he stops being those two different guys and asshole prep boy makes a return. for good" sage replies, his voice raising at the thought.

nadia sighs. "but why would you want to break your best friends heart like that?".

sage shrugs his shoulders.

"so i can put the pieces back together, not him" .

"i don't know sage, it seems a little mad. if they're happy let them be happy" she mumbles, feeling defeated.

"oh come on nadia!" he yells, frightening her. "it's the perfect conclusion. i get my best friend back and you get your boy toy back plus you remain the most popular girl at school and everyone will still be kissing your ass".

as much as she wants to be the good guy just this once, her need to remain on top wins in this situation. she nods her head, taking a deep breath.

"okay, what's the plan?"

________________________________________________________________________
wish my bby lolo a happy bday
oh and go listen to 'thursday' by
jess glynne