seventeen

johnny and mackenzie sit in the library. it's their joined free period and mackenzie insisted that they spend it finishing her paper. mr smith had agreed to give her some extra time but only because her topic 'intrigued' him.

        "john, we only have one more subtopic to cover and then it's done" mackenzie exclaims, happy that her weeks of hard work is finally coming to an end.

     johnny tilts his head up to look at the excited girl, he smiles, his head laying on her lap as she plays with his hair. they're so used to acting like a couple in front of their friends that it's become normal to them and they now do couple stuff all the time, even when they're alone.

      "what is it?" the tired boy asks, closing his eyes. he had a late practice last night and didn't get home till after 12.

      "family life" she replies simply, already typing up an introduction to the new paragraph.

johnny's eyes shoot open, his body automatically sitting up, his head turning to face mackenzie with a dreaded look on his face, she raises an eyebrow at his reaction.

"we can skip that one, right?".

mackenzie shakes her head, a sigh falling from her slightly parted lips. she's so over this whole secrecy thing when it comes to johnny's family. every time she mentions them, he shuts down completely and mackenzie has had enough.

"are you embarrassed by me or something?" mackenzie asks him, her voice low and laced with hurt. it makes johnny want to kick his own ass.

he takes her hands, holding them in his own, his thumb gently grazing the back of her smooth hand.

"of course not, i'd never be embarrassed of you" he tells her, being more than serious.

"then why don't you want me to meet your family? i mean i understand we aren't actually dating and we're just friends but i want to meet them" she replies, her voice just above a whisper.

going against everything, johnny caves and nods his head, agreeing with her. he didn't want mackenzie to meet his family at all. but he'll do anything to prove to her that she means something to him. fake girlfriend or not. she's became his best friend.

"okay fine, come over for dinner tonight" he mumbles, mackenzie squealing with excitement as she wraps her arms around his neck, her body falling on top of his.

they both erupt with laughter, falling back in the couch that's been in the library since freshman year. they get scolded by the librarian which only causes more laughter to escape.

"i'll pick you up at 7" johnny tells her, mackenzie nodding her head in response before kissing his cheek.

tonight's a big deal for mackenzie. she's really taking a liken to johnny over the past few weeks and she's glad he came into her life when he did. sure he might still be a pain in the ass and get on her nerves more than a few times but he's been her rock for a while now and she's gotten to know the side of him he never lets anyone else see.

mackenzie feels strongly about needing to impress his family, so after showering she slips on a casual, long sleeved skater dress which is a light pastel shade of lilac. she puts on her fancy earrings and wears her necklace her parents got her from paris for her 16th birthday. mackenzie puts on her small heeled shoes, wriggling her freshly painted toes to make sure they're comfortable.

she feels nervous butterflies gush in her stomach. maybe meeting his parents wasn't the best idea after all. maybe it's not too late to change her mind. only....it is, especially when a car horn beeps from outside followed by the sound of a door closing before mackenzie's doorbell rings.

johnny waits patiently on the other side of her front door, he wears his skinny black jeans with rips in them, a white button up shirt and a leather jacket to keep him warm. his hair is gelled back so it's not its usual messy self and he's wearing a new cologne his dad bought him for christmas. he chews on his gum nervously, waiting for mackenzie.

when she does finally open the door and step outside into the cold night air, she shivers a little, laughing at herself whilst locking the door.

johnny looks at her for the first time since she walked out. his eyes widen at the sight of someone who looks like mackenzie but doesn't. she isn't wearing her thick glasses and her hair isn't pulled into a tight ponytail. instead, it falls below her shoulders, soft curls bouncing around at the bottom every time she moves her head. her flawless skin is radiant and glowing like always but there's this tiny tint of pink creeping across her cheeks as she watches johnny stare at her.

"do...do i look okay?" she stutters, suddenly feeling very self conscious about her appearance.

    blinking, johnny nods his head swiftly, clearing his throat as he forces his eyes to look elsewhere.

     "you look" he says, finding it hard to pick just one word to describe how amazing she looks right now. "you look beautiful mackenzie" he smiles, making her blush violently.

     "oh really?" she smirks. "you ain't looking so bad yourself orlando" she says, walking down the driveway, turning to face him.

      "shut up" he whines, following behind and getting in the car.

     the whole car ride to johnny's house was filled with one direction blaring at full volume obviously. johnny was secretly singing all the lyrics in his head whilst kenzie didn't hold back, she was full on performing in the passengers seat.

     however, her breathing hitched when the car came to a stop and she looked out of the window. seeing that they had arrived, mackenzie felt the butterflies come back. this was it. she was meeting his family. 

    "wait" she says, grabbing johnny's attention. he creases his italian eyebrows before closing the door again.

      "what's wrong" he asks, concern written all over his face.

      she breathes in a sharp breath.

     "what if they don't like me john?" she asks, scared of what they'll think of her.

     johnny smiles softly. he wonders why she's so nervous but decides that she doesn't need to be bombarded with questions right now.

     "they'll love you kenz" he tells her. and he believes it. mackenzie is the kind of girl his parents and sisters have always nagged him about finding. she's perfect. in every possible sense.

      "really?" she sighs, a smile on her face.

     johnny nods his head.

    feeling more confident, mackenzie unbuckles her seatbelt before opening the door and climbing out.

     johnny waits until the door closes behind her before muttering quietly to himself, "i know i do".

________________________________________________________________________
favourite 1d album
GO!