eight

the busy atmosphere at lunch time always is an interesting thing. usually there wouldn't go one day without some sort of drama breaking out. today however, all eyes were glued to mackenzie as she walks through the double doors, sage by her side. she shares a confused look with the boy beside her as they head over to their table.

     "why is everyone staring?" mackenzie questions, feeling uncomfortable. she's never had this many eyes on her at once. she's always been miss invisible.

      "probably because you're fucking hot" sage says, biting into his apple. mackenzie scoffs, reaching over the table and hitting his shoulder.

    they both break out into a small fit of laughter, sage almost choking on his apple several times and that only causes mackenzie to giggle more.

    johnny's eyes scan the cafeteria. he's looking for mackenzie. it's very important that they be seen together at all times except for the exception of classes of course. spotting the nerdy girl at a table with some guy he doesn't know, johnny cusses under his breath. mackenzie can't be seen laughing and flirting with some other dude, people are for sure going to catch on if she does.

    feeling himself become angry with her, johnny stands up, ignoring the questions his friends are firing at him as he walks towards the table and plants himself into the seat beside mackenzie.

     "uh johnny, hi" mackenzie greets him, confused and also trying to stop herself from laughing.

     sage rolls his eyes as johnny glares at him. does johnny really think of sage as a threat? sage should be proud of himself but he feels sympathy for the petty boy across from him instead.

      "who's this jackass?" he asks mackenzie, his glare still directed towards sage.

     mackenzie's defensive side is instantly in motion when she hears johnny speak ill of her best friend. she scrunches her brows together, trying to figure out who the fuck johnny thinks he's talking to.

     "excuse me?" she sasses.

     sage reaches out to touch her hand put she snatches it away and points her index finger at johnny, practically snarling at him.

      "don't t you dare speak to my best friend like that again, you understand prep boy?" she says, a stern tone present in her voice.

    both johnny and sage are taken aback by her sudden outburst. johnny feels scared of the small brunette but doesn't let her know that.

     "don't make a show of yourself ziegler, i was only asking a question" he snaps back, keeping his voice at a low level. the last thing he wants is for people to stare and make assumptions.

     "kenzie it's fine honestly" sage tries to interfere but he only gets her angrier.

      "no sage it isn't, he can't speak to you like that and get away with it because he's mr popular" she says, turning her head from johnny for a split second.

    "apologize to sage right now or else the deal is off and i'll find someone else to do my paper on" she threatens.

    johnny groans, he hates being told what to do, especially off of girls like mackenzie. such a bitch.

     "fine" he says through gritted teeth. sage gets ready to bask in the enjoyment of receiving a personal apology from johnny whorelando.

    "i'm very sorry for what i said. you most defiantly are not a jackass" the green eyed boy forces a smile.

       "eh that was a shitty apology but the last thing you need is to get your ass kicker by her" sage says pointing to mackenzie who's still giving johnny the evil eye. "so i'll accept".

      sage gathers his things and stands up, leaving both mackenzie and johnny confused.

     "where are you going?" mackenzie questions. sage never leaves her alone during lunch. sage never leaves her alone ever. it's like they're conjoined at the hip.

       "i have to see my math teacher about something, i'll see you later though okay?" he smiles to her before leaving.

      mackenzie frowns as she watches him leave the cafeteria. she's now more than aware of the dip shit that's still sitting beside her.

       "why are you here?" she snaps, chewing on a fry.

     "can't let my girl eat lunch alone, can i?" he smirks back, stealing one of her fry's. mackenzie glares at him, rolling her eyes.

       "i'm not your girl john" she mutters, looking into his emerald eyes. damn they're so mesmerising.

      "that's not what everyone else thinks and we need to make sure it stays that way so no more flirting with other guys and definitely no fighting in public" he demands. "oh and also, i like if when you call me john, it's hot" he whispers into her ear as he stands back up.

mackenzie gulps, feeling a slight shiver down her spine as his words pierce her skin. she watches sternly as he walks off. no way is he going to get to her. no way will she let him.

she refuses to let him.

for now anyway.

________________________________________________________________________
why can't one direction
come back 2 me already