twenty sevEn

the room was silent, the dim lights showing a sleeping johnny. he looked peaceful when he slept, like he didn't have a care in the world. mackenzie smiles as she watches him, feeling just a little creepy. he doesn't know that she is here, nobody does. it's the middle of he night and hospital visiting hours ended a few hours ago but she hadn't gotten to see him so she took this time right now as her chance.

      mackenzie's tired eyes watch as johnny's chest rises up and down as he breathes softly. his eyes are closed, his long eyelashes resting on his face.

       the sleeping boy begins to stir, turning over onto his side. he's facing mackenzie and she holds her breath. she doesn't want to wake him.

        however, slowly, his green eyes begin to open and he's put into a confused daze immediately, rubbing his eyes and making quiet noises.

       "shhh john it's okay, go back to sleep" mackenzie whispers, her voice soft and low. she rests a hand on his cheek, using her thumb to stroke it gently.

       johnny's eyes ping open at the sound of her voice. he smiles, a small laugh escaping. he goes to sit up which takes them both by surprise. johnny winces at the effect the fast movement has on his damaged body but keeps a smile on his face nonetheless.

         "you're here?" he questions almost as if he doesn't believe it.

        "yeah, where else would i be?" she smirks, taking a hold of his hand.

         johnny smiles, studying her appearance. mackenzie always looks beautiful but tonight she looks exhausted too. her long brown hair is falling down the sides, covering her make up free  face that still manages to look so perfect. her eyes are heavy and dark, not their usual light shade. he worries that she's not taking care of herself because of him.

          "where you should be, at home, sleeping" he tells her to which she scoffs with a roll of her eyes.

        "johnny i'm fine, i'm not even tired okay?" she replies, adamant that she won't let him send her home. she's perfectly fine where she is.

      johnny raises his eyebrows in question. she knows that he doesn't believe her, he can tell when she lying but mackenzie isn't going anywhere and that's final. end of discussion.

         "and anyway, we have to talk" she almost whispers, nervous butterflies floating around in her empty stomach.

         johnny looks down at his covered legs. she's right, they do have to talk and he has to man up and tell her how he feels even though it could mean he'd be risking everything.

        there's a silence before mackenzie moves from the chair beside his bed. she sits on the edge of the comfortable hospital bed, johnny also moving himself so she has room. their hands and still holding onto each other's until mackenzie lets go, looking down at her own.

          "i'm sorry about what happened the other night. i should have stayed and heard you out, i know now about everything that happened but i just needed you to know how sorry i am about it" she rambles, never making eye contact with johnny.

      he nods his head, understanding what she's talking about. he knows about sage and ashton and everything else that happened. his dad told him earlier this evening.

        "it's okay kenz, it's not a big deal" he reassures her.

      "but it is a big deal johnny. if i had just listened then you wouldn't be. in this situation right now, we wouldn't have stopped talking and you wouldn't have been distracted" she sighs, her voice catching in the back of her throat.

        johnny wraps and arm around her waist, pulling the emotional girl towards him. she lets herself look into his eyes, their heart rates increasing. johnny thanks the lord that his heart monitor isn't beeping right now.

        "i have to tell you something" johnny tells her, their eyes still locked.

     mackenzie nods, their close proximity causing her to lose control of her brain.

       johnny takes a deep breath before opening his mouth to speak. "at first, when i asked you to have this fake relationship with me, i never expected to develop these kind of feeling that i have over the past month or so with you. i never thought that i'd be able to bring a girl home to meet my parents or be so happy and content around someone the way i am whenever i'm with you mackenzie. never did i ever expect myself to be here right now, confessing all of this to you or to anybody really. i was never the type of guy that expressed his feelings or even had feelings this strong and this real, until now. i know that me telling you all of this is a huge risk but it's one i've been willing to take for a while now because if there's even the slightest chance to you might feel the same way about me like i do you, then i'm taking it".

      mackenzie sits in silence, her moth slightly agape, her head spinning, heart racing, body going numb. she isn't sure of what this means but she knows that everything he just said, she feels it too.

        "what are you trying to say john" she chokes out, her voice raspy, tears brimming her eyes.

      johnny smiles, " i'm trying to say that i love you mackenzie".

       an audible gasp comes from her mouth, she smiles so big her cheeks hurt instantly. mackenzie sits on her knees, her arms wrapping around johnnys neck, he puts his hands on the small of her back, his eyes staring into hers.

          "i love you too johnny. i really fucking do".

  ________________________________________________________________________
weird flex but ok