eleven

school was over quicker than expected. everything was just like it's always been except for the few times throughout the day where johnny would pass notes to mackenzie in classes and they would hold hands whilst walking in the hallways. johnny felt like nobody was taking them seriously though and nadia certainly wasn't paying attention. she probably thought mackenzie was a fling and he'd be over her in a few days. normally she'd be right and if he and mackenzie's relationship weren't fake, he would have ended things by now.

       "you want me to what?" mackenzie asks as she pushes open her front door. johnny follows behind her, closing the door.

      "meet my friends" he shrugs. it's not a big deal, just moving one step closer and hopefully this will get nadia to take him seriously.

     "i don't know john..." the worried girl trails off. it's no question that she's nervous. johnny's friends are popular and loved by many. until recently, mackenzie was able to blend into crowds and not be stared at. she's used to being a nobody. she likes it.

      johnny puts his bag on one of mackenzie's large couches before falling onto it. he sighs, looking up at the ceiling.

     "oh come on kenz, you can't just have sage as your friend for the rest of your life" he tells her, turning his head to face her.

    she sits on the couch opposite from him her head being supported by her hand as she rests her arm on the arm of the couch. 

      "he's not my only friend, you're my friend too" she debates, feeling rather smug about her comment.

     johnny rolls his eyes playfully. she has a point but he wants her to have as many friends as she can. he wants her to be friends with his friends. it just makes sense.

     "how's this" he says, sitting up. "you come with me tonight to carson's house and if at anytime you want to leave then we will".

     she thinks for a moment, twisting her mouth as she gets lost in thought. it can't be that bad. and maybe some new friends would be nice. sage might get along with them too.

     "okay fine but if i don't like it i'm leaving" she says, johnny leaping off of the couch and doing a dumb victory dance.

      after getting changed into black jeans with rips on the thighs and a "rise and cry" cropped sweater, mackenzie puts on her vans and ties her hair into a pony tail, letting a few strands fall out at the front.

    johnny's car horn beeps from outside and the nervous girl grabs her phone before turning her bedroom lights off and going outside to meet johnny after locking up.

     she climbs into his jeep, reaching for the aux cord.

    "i swear to god if you play one direction imma let you walk" he warns, earning a playful hit from an offended mackenzie.

      "shut up prep boy" she replies, playing the midnight memories album.

    johnny tensed up at the nickname. he hates being called that. he hates people thinking of him in a certain way just because he's popular. he's nothing like the douche bag stereotypes. not really. he acts like one but that's his way of keeping himself safe. he puts up walls and he likes having that sort of security.

     "earth to johnny" mackenzie giggles, waving a hand inform of his face.

   snapping out of the trance, johnny looks out of the window to see that they've arrived at carson's house. there's a few cars parked out front, johnny of course knows who they belong to.