Chapter 26 So Close Yet So Far

Valentine Winters P.O.V

I darted in different directions, weaving through the labyrinthine paths with a sense of urgency that fueled my escape. Turning left and right, I followed the whims of my instincts, desperately seeking the scent of fresh outside air that beckoned freedom.

Hiding in the shadows whenever hunters crossed my path, I moved with silent swiftness, a ghost evading the vigilant eyes of my captors. Despite the twists and turns, three times I found myself trapped in dead ends. Undeterred, I paced unhurriedly, careful not to draw attention to my escape.

Finally, the tantalizing aroma of woods and trees reached me, a promise of sanctuary. I wasted no time, fervently following the scent until I stood before a massive door. Could this be it? I prayed to the moon goddess, hoping that the door wasn't locked.

Turning the knob slowly, the door creaked open, revealing the vast expanse of the woods. A surge of happiness bubbled within me as I burst out, uncaring that I was running on bare feet. Every step was taken with caution, mindful of any potential hazards underfoot.

Sightings of hunters prompted me to hide behind a colossal tree. Peeking over, I held my breath, praying they wouldn't notice me. The hunters walked ahead, oblivious to my presence, and I released a sigh of relief before resuming my escape.

As I continued, the question lingered – should I shift? Shifting to my wolf form would undoubtedly speed up my escape, but the risk of being detected increased exponentially. The hunters' territory was no place to reveal my true nature.

The road at the end of the woods emerged, connecting to another part where danger seemed less imminent. Adrenaline surged through my veins as I sprinted toward the perceived safety of the distant horizon, the promise of freedom beckoning me forward.

I couldn't resist stealing a backward glance, a wave of guilt washing over me for fleeing from Lucifer. But the fear, the pain – they were unbearable. Staying with him meant enduring a never-ending torment that I was no longer willing to bear. Perhaps he would find happiness with another, someone more suited to his dark world.

Lost in my thoughts, I failed to notice two impending dangers until they unfolded simultaneously. A searing pain pierced my back, and an electric shock coursed through my body, sending me tumbling into the muddy ground. Blinking away the disorientation, I found myself face to face with a blonde-haired hunter wielding an electrifying gun, flanked by two others.

"Going somewhere?" he asked, a sinister grin playing on his lips.

My body jerked uncontrollably as he continued to press the gun against me. Desperate to rid myself of the painful intrusion, I reached behind, attempting to grasp whatever had pierced my back. The hunter relented, and I took the opportunity to remove the offending object before he could electrocute me again.

"Ah, ah, ah," he taunted, approaching me with a predatory gleam in his eyes.

I moved back instinctively, his warning reverberating in the air. Squatting down to my eye level, he demanded answers, questioning the purpose of my presence in this perilous territory. I remained silent, my gaze fixated on the road I had so desperately tried to reach.

So close, I thought.

"Answer me!" he bellowed, his frustration escalating as he raised his hand to strike me. Flinching away, I tried to evade his blows, bracing myself for the inevitable impact.

Before the hunter could carry out his threat, a second voice intervened, resonating with a vexed snarl.

"She can speak whenever she pleases."

My wolf yipped in joy, sensing the presence of another. I, on the other hand, braced for the unknown, uncertain of what might unfold next in this unpredictable dance between captors and the unexpected ally.

Sorry for the late update and short chapter. I promise I'll update the next chapter as soon as possible.

PLZZ VOTE

PLZZ COMMENT

FOLLOW

- Valentine Winters