Chapter 29 A Retreat to Elegance

Valentine Winters P.O.V

I couldn't.

I couldn't leave him stranded with a loaded gun pointing toward his head.

I stood my ground.

Anyone in my shoes would have done the same. Who would choose freedom over their soulmate?

I lowered myself onto the ground as a sign of submission.

Lucifer Argent's P.O.V

My wolf grumbled in frustration as I watched her refuse to run. The tension in the air crackled with uncertainty. Why wasn't she following the instincts ingrained in her wolf nature?

As I mentally urged her to flee, I saw her lower her massive wolf body, a sign of submission. My irritation surged, battling with the protective instinct for my mate's safety. She chose loyalty over freedom, an act that both exasperated and warmed my heart.

Kyle, looking momentarily bewildered, tightened his grip on the gun. I seized the opportunity, elbowing him in the stomach and wresting the weapon from his hand. The tables had turned, and the once-confident Kyle now wore a mask of fear.

My father, the source of much pain and confusion, dared me to shoot. The air was charged with anticipation.

"So," he began, challenging me.

"Do you even have the guts to shoot me? Do you have the heart to do it, though?" he taunted.

I flicked the safety off, intensifying the gravity of the situation. The fear on his face deepened.

Just as I was about to make a decisive move, my courageous mate stepped in between us, altering the course of this perilous standoff.

"Step aside," I ordered, my frustration bubbling to the surface.

She stood her ground, defiance flickering in her eyes, and shook her head.

"I said step aside," I growled, my wolf's presence intensifying.

'Please, you'll regret it,' her voice echoed in my mind.

"I wouldn't regret-"

'He did look after you until now,' she interrupted.

I clenched and unclenched my jaw, trying to suppress the anger simmering within me. Disobedience and her refusal to heed my commands only fueled my irritation.

Images of the past flashed through my mind — the moments he cradled me, the times he provided for my every need. A tumult of conflicting emotions surged within me.

"Fine!" I groaned in exasperation.

"Harm her, and you won't be so lucky then," I threatened, an unspoken promise of consequences hanging in the charged air.

Valentine Winters P.O.V

How could he contemplate ending the life of the man who, despite the torment of training and hunting, provided him with a relatively comfortable life?

"Get me my clothes in a suitcase and all my cash. I'm leaving this place." He ordered his men.

Lucifer's gaze locked onto me, and a shiver ran down my spine. His commanding presence made it clear that he was not one to be trifled with.

He kneeled down. "Come here," he said, his voice cutting through the silence.

Should I approach him?

"Do I always have to repeat myself for you to understand?" he groaned in mild frustration.

Reluctantly, I crawled toward him on all fours.

"Shift back," he ordered.

I shook my head, refusing.

I couldn't expose myself to him in my vulnerable state.

"It's not like I haven't seen you naked before," he reasoned.

With an easy grace, he unbuttoned his shirt and handed it to me. "Shift back and wear this," he instructed, offering a temporary solution to my naked predicament. I took it into my mouth and walked behind a tree, swiftly shifting back, and donning the shirt.

With the shirt hanging loosely on me, I couldn't shake off the feeling of exposure and shyness. It wasn't the ideal attire, but at least it provided some semblance of modesty.

His men emerged with two massive suitcases, a small bag, and a wallet filled with credit cards. "Thanks," he acknowledged. As he carried the luggage, I followed in silence until we reached a sleek Ferrari. He tossed the bags into the trunk before taking my hand, guiding me to the front passenger seat. The door shut with a reassuring thud, and he headed to the driver's side to start the car.

As we drove, questions swirled in my mind. Where were we headed? Why was he coming with me? The quiet car ride felt like a chessboard of unspoken thoughts and suppressed inquiries. A valorous girl in my pack, I turned into a hesitant milksop in his presence.

The car eventually pulled up near a bustling shopping mall. Why a shopping mall? "Wait here and don't go anywhere," he advised, locking the car with a slight opening of the window.

Sighing, I rested my head on the window, the exhaustion of the day sinking in. A brief nap enveloped me until the car door slammed shut, announcing Lucifer's return with bags brimming with clothes.

He handed them over, started the car again, and, puzzled, I peeked into the bags. All women's clothing. Was this for me? "Change at the back; we'll be staying in a fancy hotel tonight. You can't just walk in wearing that," he answered my unspoken thoughts.

Nodding, I clambered to the back, hastily changing into undergarments, a black top, and jeans. Returning to the front seat, I noticed his gaze flicker over me before refocusing on the road. Moments later, we arrived at a grandiose hotel, signaling a shift into a new chapter.

Sorry for the wait and kinda boring chapter, I'll make the next one interesting.

VOTE

COMMENT

FOLLOW

- Valentine Winters

Mates of a Werewolf Hunterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें