Chapter 6

Ok, so here is another chapter quick smart. Hope you enjoy!

Disclaimer – I am NOT Lynette Noni or Rick Riordan. I do not own any of these characters except for Aylvair and Rowan and some of the background characters.

vi

"Right, you guys know the rules. All magical objects are allowed. No killing. Now, let the games begin!" I set off running with my team. We're playing Capture the Flag and I know I'll be good at it. My team is made up of campers from the Apollo, Athena, Hades, Poseidon, Hermes and other cabins. The apposing team has the Ares, Demeter, Hephaestus, Iris and other cabins.

"Right. You guys will be defence and you'll be the attack. You guys can help with the distractions." Annabeth pointed at me to help with the defence. As the others went their way, I went over to Annabeth.

"Annabeth, can I help look for the flag?" Annabeth looked at me softly and told me to help with the defence. I decided not to listen and ran as fast as my Meyarin speed would allow me. Thanks to my Meyarin hearing ability, I could hear Annabeth curse behind me. I stopped running when I knew that no one had followed me, when I was alone. Only then, did I let myself stop and think. I had an idea of what I could do and I knew that if I succeeded, it would be a quick, easy finish to the game. Keeping my idea in mind, I let myself slip into the shadows.

"No one will find the flag."

"Shush. Someone could be listening."

"No one's listening. Even if they were, they'd never find the flag inside Bunker 9. They couldn't. Plus, not everyone can get into Bunker 9. You need fire to access it anyway and I don't think anyone has fire on their fingertips like Leo did."
"What if they get a torch?"

"They won't think to look in there. We'll be fine." What they didn't know was that someone was listening. I was listening. I was eavesdropping over them for that's where the Shadows took me and I trusted them. I remembered what Rowan said about Bunker 9 and now I knew how to get in. I slipped quietly back into the Shadows and let them take me to Bunker 9.

Bunker 9 looked like an old workshop and I thought that maybe it would fall if I touched. I summoned fire into my palm, the flames licking and tickling my palm. I pressed my hand to where I thought would be the right place and the door swung inwards. Stepping into Bunker 9, I made my flames vanish. Using my Meyarin heightened senses, I searched for the flag. I spied it on the mast of a half-finished ship. Climbing up and grabbing the flag, I let the Shadows engulf me and take me where I need to go.

Stepping out of the Shadow's embrace, I know I'm not alone. I can tell the river I must get across to win is at least 100 meters away. I'm pondering why I'm here when two girls step out of the cover of the trees. Quickly shoving the flag into my pocket, I act as if I'm scouting.

"Hey, you there. What're you doing here?" I look at the girls, keeping my face blank.

"Did you hear what I said? What're you doing here? Spying?" I frown and shake my head. The girls start to advance and I back away. Just as they were getting too close for comfort, twigs snap. The girl's eyes dart around, looking for the source. A figure bursts through the trees and attacks them. While they're distracted I make sure the flag is still in my pocket. The girls soon throw the figure off and start advancing towards me again.

"Hey, he's got your flag!" I shout. They look at me as if I'm crazy. "He has your flag. I can see it in his pocket." I quickly swerve around them and make a break for the figure. Fortunately, he's unconscious. I stick my hand into his pocket quickly, keeping it in a fist to keep a copy of the flag in my clutched hand. The girls don't notice the flag and I get away with my trick. I pull my hand out of his pocket and take a quick glance at his face. It's Rowan. Pulling my hand quickly out of Rowan's pocket, I hand the girls the copied flag.

"Here's your flag." The girls look at me suspiciously.

"Why are you helping us?" 

"I'm helping you because I want to. I don't need a reason." The girls shrug and run off back into the forest. when I knew they'd gone, I summoned water and threw it on Rowan's face. He woke with a start, thrusting his sword toward me.

"Easy there. It's time we win this game." He shook his head, getting his wet hair out of his eyes.

"How? We don't have the flag. Also, I wasn't unconscious. I was lying still so you all thought I was knocked out. It worked. And I heard everything you said," he said, jumping to his feet. "I heard that you gave them the flag. So how are we meant to win if we don't have the flag?" I pull the real flag out of my pocket and hand it to him. He's shocked and I try not to look a little smug.

"If this is the flag, then what do they have?" I pull up the arm of my armour and show him the torn piece of fabric.

"I tore this fabric off my top and them made it so it looks like it's their flag. But it won't last long. Only about 10 minutes. You need to hurry. The river is about 100 meters that way", I say pointing in the direction of the river. He gives me one last look, trying to figure out if I'm lying. I roll my eyes and give him a push, making him go.

"Congrats. You've won the game. Now, time to go to bed. It's been an exhausting day for you all." Chiron is telling us a list of things to do but I've tuned out. I'm tired and I know that the girls will kill me if they can. They glare at me, making goose bumps pop up on my skin. "Now..." Chiron stops abruptly and everyone looked behind them. 

I turn and see a gigantic dog, staring at us hungrily. Chiron slowly removes his bow from his shoulder and nocks an arrow. Before I realise what I'm doing, I run forward and shield the dog with my body. Chiron gives me a look as if to say What in Olympus' name are you doing? but I ignore him. Instead, I make a gurgle in the back of my throat. The dog sniffs and then darts off.

Everyone just looks at me as if I'm crazy. I just look at the ground, not wanting to meet anyone's eyes. Green light shimmers on the ground and I look up. A symbol shines above my head. People gasp and I look around at their astonished faces. I then look back at the where the green light was but its vanished.

"Right everybody. Well just... ummm... head off to your cabins now and have a good night's sleep." As I start to follow everyone, Chiron calls me back. "Not you Aylvair. I want you to come with me." He leads me back to my cabin and tells me to collect my things from my corner. I do so obediently and then follow him to another cabin. This cabin is made of onyx and makes me feel as if death were in its doorway. It felt nice and I liked it.

"Aylvair, this is the Hades cabin. Your father claimed you just then." I nod for my brain is too tired to comprehend what he said. "I'll let you settle in. Nico should be here soon." I nod again and he leaves. I look around the dark cabin. The only light comes from the full moon outside the window. From what I can see, there's 3 beds in the cabin. One of them looks like it's been slept in so I avoid that one. 

I pick the one nearest the window and dump my things on the floor at the end of the bed. Climbing in, I felt almost like I was at home. The sheets felt like silk and the blanket was cosy and warm. The last thing I saw before falling asleep was the dark-haired boy closing the door softly and smiling down at me. It wasn't an evil smile, it was more like a brotherly gesture. I fell asleep with a smile on my lips.