Chapter 17

The final battle! Who will win?! Read on to find out!

Disclaimer – I am NOT Lynette Noni OR Rick Riordan and I DO NOT own any of the characters except the ones I created.

Xvii

10 minutes. Half an hour. A whole hour. Rowan didn't return. I started to get worried and tried to go after him, but Will and Nico held me down. I couldn't shadow with them because that would mean they would also get stuck in space and since they were mere mortals, they wouldn't survive. Even though I pleaded and begged, they wouldn't let go. Tears fall down my cheeks and I wipe them away.

"He's been gone too long! We need to help him! I need to go see if he's okay! LET... ME... GO!" I'm finally able to break free of Nico's grasp, already having shoved off Will's. I quickly trave by the shadows into the sky.

I see Rowan and Zembia battling in the stratosphere. It's a little hard to breath but I make the effort. I can't change into the same creature as Rowan but because I'm Meyarin, I'm able to survive longer than a normal mortal in the stratosphere. Unfortunately, the battle isn't going our way. Rowan has cuts and bruises all over his body. Zembia has the upper hand and is fighting vigorously. It's not a fair fight and he hasn't kept his deal to not try and break out of the metal sphere. I watch as Zembia raises his fist and deals a final blow to Rowan's head. His body goes limp and I'm only semi-conscious of what I do next.

"Oi! You great ugly beast!" I pelt light at his head again, but he ducks so the light doesn't affect him.

"Ahhh! The little girl mortal has come to try and finish me again. It's such a pity..." He stops mid-sentence again as his head fills with greenery that normally wouldn't be found out in space. I send a silent prayer to the Jarnocks, thanking them for their power over the forests. His body explodes and the little pieces left float off into space.

I don't stop to see if he builds himself again. I shadow straight to where Rowan is floating, lifeless. Taking his arm, I shadow quickly to where I left Will and Nico.

"Help! He's not breathing! We need to revive him! Help!" I land on the ground with a thud. Will and Nico rush over and badger me with questions. I answer them as quickly as possible and give them a short recount of what had happened. Will used his healing magic, but it didn't do anything. Again and again and again. Nothing made Rowan stir though. Soon, Will was weak from using too much of his magic. I curse and try and use my powers over the dead to revive him.

"Aylvair. Aylvair. Stop. It's no use." Nico grabs my arm, stopping me from using my powers further. "Aylvair. The battle is over. I'm sorry. He's dead." I can't believe it. My brain can't comprehend it. And yet, it pounds those 2 words over and over again.

He's dead. He's dead. He's dead.

Yep. Rowan is dead. Or is he? Find out in the next chapters!