Chapter Six

The next day at breakfast there was a shock that came through the Daily Prophet. There was a mass breakout from Azkaban. Even Regina shivered as she read Jillian's copy of the newspaper.

Mass Break Out from Azkaban

The Ministry of Magic announced late last night that there has been a mass breakout from Azkaban.

Speaking to reporters in his private office, Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, confirmed that ten high security prisoners escaped at the same time that auror's attentions were directed at the transportation of Hogwarts students to school. Minister Fudge confirmed that he has already informed the Muggle Prime Minister of the dangerous nature of these individuals.

"We find ourselves, most unfortunately in the same position we were in two and a half years ago when that murderer, Black escaped," said Fudge last night. Somehow, his example must have been followed by the likes of these individuals. He certainly could have communicated with his own cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, how he did it. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached."

Rita Skeeter, Daily Prophet

There were several comments throughout the Great Hall that morning. There was a surprising sniffling sound from a former acquaintance of Harry Potter, Neville Longbottom. The Slytherins remained quiet, knowing that the school might be looking at them in a funny way.

+ + + +

Later that day, Regina wasn't surprised by the attention she got.

"I thought no one had survived that fire."

"She looks like she owns the place."

"I wish I looked like her."

There were a few whispers that followed Regina as she began Hogwarts – again. But Regina kept her head up and ignored it. Soon, the chatter died down. Regina had a huge advantage that she made sure to give to her friends, Jillian, Gale, and Azure. She was not swept away or confused by the wide sweeping staircases, the rickety ones, or the doors that suddenly knocked. She knew how to get where she needed to go in a timely fashion. She had the Marauders Map, but it was kept hidden. She didn't get that out. She knew the secret corridors. She showed Jillian one or two of them. But she had no intention of showing them all every secret she knew.

Regina knew how to avoid Peeves, and made sure to help her friends do so. She made sure to keep very clear of Argus Filch and his cat, Mrs. Norris.

Life was a bore to start. She knew the constellations and stars already. She had heard Binns drone on the Goblin Wars. She could do the charms that Professor Flitwick called for.

She was not surprised by Professor McGonagall's stern class.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

After taking lots of notes – notes she had as Harry Potter already, they were given a match to turn into a needle.

She was the only person to turn the match into a needle, and she did it on her first try – perfectly.

"Good job, Ms. Fawley," Professor McGonagall called, "Ten points to Slytherin."

The next day they had their first Defense against the Dark Arts class.

She had her book, notebook, and quill out. She watched carefully, wondering what Professor Umbridge would be like. She didn't think she was an ally of Dumbledore.