Chapter Twenty

An old man in strange sparkling purple robes sat at a quiet table across from a stern looking Scottish woman. One could barely tell that they were a man and a woman, both had hoods to cover their faces. While the one was Undesirable # 1, the other though not declared Undesirable had taken quite a bit of effort to come to this quiet out of the way place unheeded.

"Have you heard anything about what is happening at the school this year, Albus?" The stern Scottish woman clipped in a Highland accent.

The old man in the queer purple robes shook his head.

"No, Minerva –" If one could look his face looked full of care of pain. "I have heard nothing – I did not expect much."

"Does Severus not confide in the Order?" She asked quietly.

"His schedule is a little hectic," Professor Dumbledore began, "But it has been nearly impossible to meet with him. I am not sure that I trust him enough to give him my whereabouts, nor do many in the Order."

Minerva McGonagall let out a drawn out sigh. "I had hoped to reach out to a couple students during the Holidays here, but none are at home."

Albus Dumbledore shook his head. "The ones that would talk to you or I are probably hiding safely in the castle right now. Students like Neville Longbottom, Hannah Abbott, Ginny Weasley, and Luna Lovegood."

"Has Ginny been writing her parents?" Minerva asked.

Albus pinched the bridge of his nose. "If she has any form of news, it isn't good. Her mother is held up in a quiet warehouse we have in Dublin. Her Father and his warehouse was attacked last night."

Minerva gasped. "What happened Albus?"

"I did not make it in time," He said sadly. "But everyone in the warehouse was dead. I found Ernie MacMillian, Dean Thomas, Sally Anne-Perks, and Colin Creevey dead with the killing curse, along with Dedalius Diggle and Arthur Weasley."

He shook his head sadly. "It appears the Death Eaters knew they were there, arrived outside the Warehouse, set up Anti-apparition and portkey wards and slaughtered them. The Dark Mark was over the warehouse when I arrived."

"What hope can we find, Albus?" Minerva asked.

Albus replied, "I hope that a few of our Seventh Years can protect the young ones and perhaps snatch a few more from the fire."

+ + + +

Neville sat quietly at his table in the Common Room of the Dormitory as the students returned from the Holidays. Only two Gryffindors had left to return home for the holidays, Natalie McDonald and Romilda Vane. Neville had hidden himself from everyone for the last few weeks. He would sneak out right before the end of the meal, eat quickly and leave again. He avoided Hannah Abbott, Luna Lovegood, and Ginny Weasley had given up trying to talk to him. He couldn't face any of them.

Neville looked more and more withdrawn. His eyes were tinged with red from his lack of sleep. He was malnourished and weak. He could find so little rest. When he did rest, he would see Hannah Abbott twitching on the floor or he would see his parents' vacant looks back at him. Other dreams had him at Regina's side casting the Cruciatus Curse. He could almost taste the curse, as he did when Regina had sidled up to him after casting it on Hannah. He had felt the power. He had enjoyed her touch. She had said, "Try it," and he had wanted to.

He tried to muster the strength to do what Dumbledore had asked him to do, but he could do nothing. He read through his Dark Art books trying to understand the theory, and fearfully realizing that he did. He was afraid. No longer was he afraid of the Dark Arts being cast on him. He was afraid that he would cast them himself. They were easy – too easy. And tomorrow he would be in the class with Professor Snape and the Devil in the Flesh, herself, Regina Fawley.