Chapter Thirty-Five

Regina felt like she was floating during the Boxer Day celebrations at Malfoy Manor. She had just been introduced as Draco's fiancée and the future Mrs. Draco Malfoy. She was wearing a golden dress, but she felt as if everything was going well. Even her visit with the Dark Lord earlier – and Lucius Malfoy. A pardon was granted to her newest vassal. But that boon had come at a price.

"I expect, Miss Fawley," her Lord had told her. His clawed hand held her chin while he locked her gaze, eye-to-eye, "that you will personally handle this threat. Bellatrix is confident that you are capable."

Regina looked at him eye-to-eye. She knew that Dumbledore even as he must be after his kidnapping of her was a formidable foe. She also had resources. She had her magic, her cunning, Jillian, and her baby in the Chamber of Secrets. Hermione was also a contingency plan. That necklace around Hermione's neck could allow her to possess her if it came to that. She could force Hermione to go to the Chamber of Secrets to release the basilisk if necessary.

Regina forgot the threat the Dark Lord had given her for the time being. She smiled as more and more of the Wizarding World offered her their congratulations.

As Draco's betrothed, she danced only with family and trusted allies. Jillian as well who was now the betrothed of Blaise Zabini was now off limits to Theodore Nott who glowered darkly at Draco and Blaise who had been able to get the most coveted bachelorettes. She smirked at him. If he hadn't been a creep, he could have had Gale as his wife. She shook her head as she looked at him. She had a sudden idea of how to deal with him in the future, then set the thought away for now.

Regina's final showing at the Malfoy Ball as a single woman was a quiet affair. Neither she nor Jillian got to bed until late.

+ + + +

Regina and Jillian had a rare moment to visit after the Junior Death Eaters meeting. They were already being prepared for the battle ahead. Now with the meeting over, Regina and Jillian had their first time together in the Dark Arts classroom. After a romantic moment had been shared, they continued to plot together.

"So, the former Headmaster is coming May 31?" Jillian asked Regina.

Regina nodded. "He is planning to come through the tunnel from Hogsmeade that comes up behind the kitchens. He then plans to invade the Headmaster's office. Then, he plans to use Hogwarts as his center of operations."

"What is he going to do with all the students?" she asked her.

"Desperate men do desperate things." Regina replied.

A month later Regina was walking up the steps of the Headmaster's office and sitting before Professor Snape's desk.

"Please have a seat, Miss Fawley," he said.

"I have to first of all say how impressed I am with your leadership as Head Girl," he began. "I have had fewer discipline issues reach my desk than ever. The Carrows tell me about your creative work and are pleased as well. No other Head Boy or Head Girl in my tenure as Headmaster has done better. I doubt that any in my time at Hogwarts has done better."

Regina blushed. "You are too kind, Headmaster."

"The praise is overdue this year," he replied. He stopped and looked at her intently. Then, he cast powerful wards around the room.

"Sadly, I wanted to talk to you about the defense of Hogwarts. I have been informed that Dumbledore is coming at the end of May –" he asked.

"May 31, Sir," she said, "That is according to my source."

"I am not surprised," he said. "He gave the post up too easily, thinking then as he did the year of the Chamber of Secrets incident that he'd get the post back before the Dark Lord came to power. He miscalculated and he rues it. I imagine he hopes that I will let him have his office without any fight, join him again, and help the Greater Good."