Chapter Twenty-Six

Jillian and Regina took a good look at each other in their black dresses as they prepared for the social event of the year. Again, Regina had to be early and since Jillian was practically an adopted daughter of the Fawleys and now by extension the Lestranges, she was dressed and going to the party early as well. At 4pm first Regina, then Jillian, then Rabastan, then Rodolphus, and finally Bellatrix made their way through the Floo.

One of the Malfoy House Elves was waiting for the group when they arrived.

"The Minister is in the smaller Ballroom and is expecting Miss Fawley and Miss MacDougal." The Elf said.

Bellatrix said, "Let's go introduce ourselves to Cissy and see if we can help ourselves to some of the wine."

Regina began to walk to the dining room with Jillian trying to emulate her moves right at her side. The door to that Dining Room was open and they walked past the long table to the balcony looking out into the night. Even Jillian could feel the pull of Dark Magic to direct them. When they made it Jillian followed Regina's example getting on her knees and bowing.

"My Lord –" the girls said.

The Dark Lord didn't turn as he continued to look out into the perfect Malfoy gardens. After several moments, he finally said,

"Miss Fawley –" Then he looked to the other, "Miss MacDougal –" He thought something more than said, "I am pleased to see your continued progress in the Dark Arts – it radiates off of the two of you."

"Miss Fawley," He continued, "How are my Junior Death Eaters?"

Regina looked up and spoke clearly, "We are playing at dress up, spying, and a few Crucios and Imperios, but we have done nothing of importance."

The Dark Lord hissed, "That is perfect. When they graduate, it will make it easier to sift out the unworthy, who think they are too important for our work."

Then, he asked, "Are there any who might be worthy?"

Regina said, "My Mentor and I intend to discover if Miss MacDougal can face Muggles and Mudbloods, but she has already used the Killing Curse on a Muggle."

The Dark Lord gazed at Jillian with speculation in his mind, seeming to search for weakness or signs of lying. When he found none, he looked to Regina. "Are there any others?"

Regina nodded. "Azure Zabini is quite advanced in the Dark Arts," she said. "I have not witnessed her use of the Killing Curse, but she is quite adept with the other two Unforgivables, and I can smell the Dark Arts all over her."

"Yes," The Dark Lord hissed, "Miss Zabini. But Bellatrix tells me that she has a rather unhealthy fixation with your position among us?"

Regina smirked, "I believe she thinks to challenge me before the end of the year and then kill me."

The Dark Lord chuckled, "Well, then the one left alive shall lead the Junior Death Eaters."

The Dark Lord remained quiet for a minute.

"I am nearly ready to reveal who is worthy to seek your hand in marriage, Miss Fawley –" he said. "But I await to see if Zabini is able to follow through on her plans. I trust that you will not disappoint when the time comes?"

Regina bowed her head. "Azure Zabini is a dead woman walking, my Lord."

"She shall serve as a good test for you, I think," He hissed. "But Bellatrix assures me that none could stand against you. She even hints that she would have a difficult time with you now."