Chapter Twenty-Four

As Samhein began early October 31st, Regina dressed as usual in her Slytherin House robes. For once she was happy she had a day off from teaching Dark Arts. She still had a test in Arithmancy to attend to after lunch. After an early breakfast with Jillian, the two retired to study for the Arithmancy test for the next hour until they had Transfiguration. The friendly banter between the two as they studied ended when Regina cast a privacy charm around them and whispered.

"I want to show you something after Arithmancy," she told her conspiratorially.

Jillian grinned, "What?"

"It is a secret room that I don't think anyone else knows about," Regina replied. "Azure doesn't know about it, and I want to finish talking about your future."

Jillian's face darkened. She had enjoyed spending time with her best friend and had wanted to hold off any discussion on what she was supposed to do.

Regina looked intently at her friend. "If you are going to escape my clutches so you can get back into that house, you need to do it sooner rather than later. But I'm hoping we can start working on some other arrangements."

Jillian nodded.

So, the day continued, first through Transfiguration, another easy day for two of the top students in 5th year. Azure glared at the two of them as each received higher marks than she did. Then, after a quick lunch, they returned to the library to finish studying for Arithmancy. And then, the dreaded test. It was the hardest theoretical test Regina had ever taken, and that included her Dark Arts Newts, but when she put the paper down, she was confident she had put together another O.

With an hour and one half before supper and Regina and Jillian both done with the test, they were able to sneak away from Azure who glared at the two of them as Regina took Jillian out, down a secret passageway up to the seventh floor.

Regina held Jillian's hand as they walked back and forth three times.

"Three is the magical number." She said. "You need to think about what is needed."

When they had walked past the third time a door appeared. Jillian squeezed Regina's hand in shock. Then, Regina led the way inside.

Jillian looked around in wonder. "It's the library!" She shouted. "But bigger."

Regina nodded. "It has every book the library has in it – nothing more, including the Restricted Section – and no notes needed."

Jillian chuckled, "Not that you need a note."

Regina smirked. "That is another source of Azure's frustration."

Regina took Jilian's hand and walked her to a couch in the back. "I've adjusted this room to be a little more comfortable than the School library." And sure enough the two ladies had their heels off and their legs up. Regina pulled out a book.

"This is what I wanted to show you," she said.

Jillian took the book from Regina's hand and looked at the title. "Wizarding Child Law."

"What's this?" She asked.

"In here," Regina said, pointing to the page on emancipation, "If you choose to go this route, is the legal way to become emancipated from your parents."

Jillian swallowed as she stared down at the book. Regina reached over and caressed her best friend's face gently.

"Look at me," she whispered.

Jillian peeked up. "Though my Mentor feels I am not finished with her training, she believes that I am far enough along that I could take someone on as their mentor. She has spoken to the Minister and his aide, Lord Malfoy. An arrangement could be made for you to stay with me."