Chapter Twelve

November cold and snow led to December. Regina was eating with her friends in the Great Hall when a school owl brought another invitation to her. It was the same parchment and the ink and was the same color as the last invitation from Professor Slughorn.

To Miss Regina May Fawley,

You are cordially invited to attend The Christmas party of the Slug Club

The party will take place on the 20th of December 8pm sharp. There will be drinks, dinner prepared by one of the finest chefs in the wizarding world, and dancing. Please bring a date to the dinner.

The dress code is smart – but don't turn up in full dress robes!

If you are able to attend, please inform Professor Slughorn a.s.a.p.

We look forward to your presence.

Later that evening, Regina approached, Joshua Goldstein in the common room. "Hey Josh. I was wondering if you would accompany me as my date to the Slug Club Christmas party."

Josh's jaw dropped in shock. He could barely get the words out. "I would be honored."

Regina smiled for him. "You are supposed to wear a formal suit, but not full dress robes. And the party is on the 20th at 8pm.

As she walked away from Josh, Jillian smoothly walked up to her.

"You know that the boy is already fixated on you, don't you?"

Regina nodded.

"This is only going to make it worse."

Regina shrugged.

"I don't like him that way, but I trust him as opposed to some of the other guys here in Slytherin or elsewhere that have already been pestering me to take them," Regina explained.

At seven forty-five on the 20th, Joshua Goldstein was waiting in the common room dressed up in the best tuxedo he could get his hands on. It was a hand-me-down from a Hufflepuff that he would now owe a favor to. But it was worth it to be seen with Regina Fawley on his arm.

He watched the clock nervously waiting Regina Fawley. At what seemed like the last possible minute, Regina came out of the girls' section of the dormitory wearing a black dress that hugged her body tightly and finished half-way up her thigh. It had a formed scoop neck and long sleeves which reached her wrists, but it still showed a bit of skin. She was wearing a pair of nude heels and her hair bounced from the curls that Jillian had helped put in there. She had her purse on her arm as Josh put a corsage on her other arm. Then, he took her arm in his and started to lead her up to Slughorn's office.

This was Regina's second time in Slughorn's office. She again marveled at how much bigger than many other teacher's studies, this study was. The ceiling and walls were draped with emerald, crimson, and gold hangings – it looked like a vast tent. The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in red light cast by ornate golden lamps dangling from the ceiling. There was a band playing mandolins and singing in the corner. There was a haze of pipe smoke hung over several elderly warlocks who were deep in conversation.

"Regina –" shouted Slughorn, as soon as she and Joshua had been able to squeeze themselves through the door. "Come in, come in. There are so many people in here to meet."

Regina held Joshua's hand loosely as Slughorn led them purposefully into the party.

"Regina," he said. "This is Eldred Worple, an old student of mine, author of Blood Brothers: My Life Amongst the Vampires, and his friend Sanguini."

As Mr. Worple went into a description about his life with Sanguini, Regina found herself forcefully using her Occlumency shields to block the presence of the Vampire and his thrall. She saw the bushy hair of Hermione Granger walk past, apparently close to the Weird Sisters. She whispered to Joshua, "Are the Weird Sisters here?"

He grinned back in turn. Eventually the two made it away. Regina desperately seeking out the Weird Sisters. But they didn't make it. Instead Professor Trelawney pulled them in to the drink stand.

"Hello to you two," she said, focusing on especially Regina as if she saw something. "I haven't seen if you will be in my class yet –"

Regina trailed off. "No, Professor. Joshua and I are only second years."

Professor Trelawney asked, "Will I be seeing you next year then?" And then she went into a trance as if she could in fact see what would happen.

Regina shook her head. As Harry Potter she had endured way too much of Professor Trelawney's images of her death.

"No, Professor," she said sadly. "My grandparents absolutely forbid it. They want me to take Arithmancy and Runes."

"Tis a shame –" She said. She was about to turn toward Joshua who had a glass of mead in his hand, but Regina pulled him away with her other hand.

As Regina made her way toward the Twisted Sisters, she observed an argument happening between Ginny Weasley and Hermione Granger.

"Hermione," Ginny had said, "Are you really dating McLaggen –"

Hermione nodded, "What business is it to you?"

Ginny said fervently, "I know that you are angry at my brother –" she shook her head. "He's been a real prat this year, but McLaggen has a reputation."

Hermione raised her eyebrows, "Do you really think that I'd stoop that low? If only Harry were here. I could have asked him."

She clearly made Ginny's face turn red. Ginny was about to retort when her eyes made that subtle move behind Hermione.

"Oh, Cormac – " Hermione said with a turn.

Regina turned in disgust and nearly ran into Professor Snape.

"Miss Fawley – " he said with his usual stern look toward one of his own Slytherins.

Regina whose Potter mind still remembered the cruelty and battles still with the Professor responded with utmost respect but fear. "Professor Snape –"

"Professor Slughorn tells me that your skills for Potions continues to exceed expectations." He said.

"I had two of the best teachers," she replied with a smile.

"Yes –" he replied. "Make sure that you do not sully the Slytherin name."

With that, he twirled his robe and stalked away. He clearly seemed to not want to be there at all.

At this point, Slughorn returned and took Regina aside to have her photograph taken. Regina smiled softly at the photographer – a spotty, lanky man who probably hadn't been in the Slug Club during his time at Hogwarts, and blinked several times after the blinding flash went off. Regina had one picture with the Professor and then she asked,

"Could you take a picture of myself with Joshua?"

The second picture had a very nervous looking boy with Regina standing tall and proud.

After this Regina and Joshua awkwardly stood around bored. Regina had the one run-in with Ginny Weasley, but she was a Slytherin and Ginny was a Gryffindor. "Slimy snake –" was all Regina heard as Ginny stomped away from her.