Chapter 7

Three weeks since Ben and Dilton killed themselves for the game. Three weeks of failed investigations and classes. Shifts at work and days of coming home to see Fred eating alone sadly.

Apparently the pep rally at the prison turned into a riot started by the guards. So Archie was moved to solitary confinement until further notice. Baring anyone from visiting him. Which was driving Fred to an edge. Jug and I only a little bit behind him there. I mean Archie was our balancing act. Our bit of good to balance out the edgy bullshit. And not being able to confide in my best friend was killing me.

"I'm going to try the warden again," Fred says standing up from the breakfast table. Jug and I share a look.

"Well tell me what happens," I say to him, "and if you see Archie, tell him Jug and I will be by soon."

"Alright," Fred says, "uh you all should head out, I can't have you showing up late."

"Of course," I say to him as Jug and I stand up, "Come on Juggy."

"I'm right behind you," He says. We head out and climb into my truck. Everything seeming weird and tensions high.

"Do you think about Ben's death?" I ask him trying to see if I'm crazy or not.

"All the time," He sighs bouncing his knee nervously. We both go silent as Betty joins us climbing into the car.

"Morning," She says softly and Jug and I exchange a look. "What's wrong?"

"We were talking about Ben's death," I admit to her, "I know it's been a bit but it's still so weird."

"Ben's death haunts me," She says looking around puzzling, "He didn't scream. Why not, I wonder. Because that's one of the rules?"

"Of Gryphons and Gargoyles?" Jug asks, then his eyes go wide with realization. My eyes travel back to the road. "that's what we're missing. There's no rule book. There's no player's manual. What if that's the key to all this? I mean the way that Ethel, Ben, and Dilton talk about it, it's like a religion-"

"The word your looking for is cult," I say to him, "it's like fucking Scientology or anyother cult."

"Every cult has its king," Jug says and I look off slightly.

"Can I be honest?" I ask them.

"Of course," Jug says placing his hand on my thigh supportively, "you can tell me anything."

"I wasn't really unnerved by the case or like that- well I mean I was but really. All I can think of is if Adam was as calm as Ben," I say softly. The others go quiet clearly not thinking that's what I was going to say. "I mean Ben and Diltion cleared had it planned out, and Ben seemed less nervous than anyone else."

"It's a valid thought," Jug says, "But there isn't any way to know."

"That's what bothers me so much," I sigh, "but I was thinking... maybe I should step back for a little bit- or at least ya know not watch another suicide. Please don't be mad."

"No no it makes sense," Jug says, "a lot of sense actually."

"Yeah," Betty says, "take whatever time you need." I nod.

"Well that's good," I say to them, "I thought you both were going to freak."

"Of course not," Jug says, "whatever you need." I smirk at him.

"What I need is a milkshake from Pops," I say to them smiling.

~~~~~

After the short drive we find Veronica slumped over Bills. Betty decides to take this one to help her leaving Jug and I alone at the counter.