Chapter 37

"It should be around here," Jug says as he takes my hand. He leads me through the twisting turns off the dark foresting clearing. His dad called him then he called me. Honestly bringing in two teenagers to solve your cases? It's quite pathetic. He and I finally reach the scene. Baby Teeth the guy from Archie's pack of ex prison pals was stripped down and left in the woods Diltion Dooliey style with carvings on his back.

"Damn," I say softly looking over the body. It's a gruesome scene that really shouldn't be as familiar as it is. I sigh. Jug kneels to the ground using my camera to snap his pictures. Honestly I all but actually gave it to him since that man basically said I was a hack. So he took over  as photographer as I work through my rough time.

"Poor Baby Teeth," He says once he stands. The harsh death must have been a struggle on his behalf. I doubt he just willingly let him self become this. 

"Brandon Morris was his real name," FP informs us, "We ID'ed him from his prints. First glance, very similar to how you found Ben and Dilton. But I don't know." FP trails off as we look over the body. "I need your help, son, please."

"Yeah, of course," Jug says then looks back to me, "both of us?"

"Both of us," I say smiling at him.

"These blue lips are the same Markings on his back are the same, too," Jug says as he snaps another picture, "But his missing teeth, that's the twist." Jug sighs loudly.

"This might be a copycat killer," I tell him, "someone wanting something attention possibly."

"I mean, it could be the same guy that went after Ben and Dilton," Jug says as he stands, "but they were willing participants. Baby Teeth struggled. Maybe the brutality of  his death was the message. Like a warning that he's back and he's angry."

"The Gargoyle King?" FP asks.

"The real one," Jug adds. He snaps another picture.

"We'll need the autopsy to declare anything," I tell them, "sure it looks like the blue lips means cyanide- but even if it was cyanide that doesn't mean that's what killed them. So lets get the report before we make a call."

"Yeah," Jug says agreeing to my statement, "call us when that's ready."

As we leave the scene and head to our homes I feel a awkward weight in the car. Jug looks over at me softly.

"What?" I ask him finally after catching his eyes for the 15th time. He sighs loudly.

"What are we?" He asks. I roll my eyes. Frankly getting tired of the question. Sure its been a bit since we broke up but he and I still need time. I need more time.

"Friends," I say as I park the truck. Once fully parked and the car is stopped I look over to him. "If you can't deal with that then I suggest you move on. Frankly I'm just trying to be happy." He sighs as we both get out of the truck. Heading to our separate homes. Lily headed home earlier. She and the girls are home preparing to maybe move. The house situation is still dicey. They can't find a space they both like. Fred's at work, Archie's boxing. I'm alone. Pretty typical. "Vegas!" I call the dog. He runs down the stairs and reaches my feet. I crouch to pet the dog. Giving attention to the pet that never seems to get any. I move over to the couch as he climbs beside me. Honestly this is my perfect night.