Chapter 25

Jug and I hope down into the bunker to see Sweet Pea and Fangs pacing nervously. Since we had been there last it had been scrubbed down and that blood could no longer be seen on the ground. "Sweet Pea, Fangs, why'd you guys bring me down here?" Jug asks getting annoyed, "You know I'm on a case."

"I heard the Gargoyle Gang is riled up," Fangs says harshly, "They're looking for Tall Boy. And as long as his body's down here, it's a ticking time bomb!"

"Yeah, well, it's too hot to move him right now," Jug says shutting him down. Sweet Pea sighs loudly.  "Hey! Let's not lose our heads, okay? Fangs, I need you to stay here with Tall Boy, and I need you to lock this place up. I'm serious."

"But Sweet Pea we need a favour from you," I say to him, "so we need you to tail someone. Hermione Lodge. Keep your eye on her, but keep your distance. The Lodges have a habit of shooting first asking questions later."

"Fine," Sweet Pea says as he looks to Jug, "But there is nothing else we can do with the body?"

"Nothing for now," Jug says, "the forest is crawling with people as of late. Any move with it will draw lots of unwanted attention and plenty of people who want to shift some blame."

"Lets go Jug," I say to him, "we have to meet someone." He nods and we both head out. If for nothing than to compare investigations we invited Betty to check this lady out. She was looking into Claudius Blossom's suspicious death. Since he and Hiram worked so closely we have a hunch that maybe the blonde might now something about Claudius.

We meet her at the five seasons. Jug places him self between her and I as if to state 'she's mine'. His fingers lace with mine and I sigh.

"So, who's this blonde bombshell that you're tracking?" Betty asks us.

"Hiram's mistress," Jug says, "He broke things off with her, so she may want revenge."

"But i think it's deeper than that," I tell her, "pinning it on the mistress is so pointless."

"Well The concierge tipped me off about this floor," Jug says as we aimlessly circle the halls, "but I wish they'd given me a room number." I see a door a little down the hall and make my way towards it. The peep hole had red over it to separate it from the other doors along with a weird design. A room number seems to be missing.

"Well, maybe there was no room number to give," I say to Jug, "I think this is it."

"Perfect," He says chuckling slightly. I lean against the door and feel Betty's heavy look on me. Jug steps between us again, he knocks then looks to Betty.

"You are only here cause we think it will help you too," Jug says, "But I'd hold off on any flirting with my girlfriend. Got it?"

"Jug," I say carefully, "this isn't the time."

"Listen I'm only here for the investigation," She says to both of us, "i didn't mean to mess anything up between you whether you believe it or not."

"How is your investigation?" I ask changing the subject. She sighs loudly.

"My investigation's on hold until I hear back from Dr. Curdle Jr," she informs us, "Turns out there was no autopsy on Claudius. Penelope had him cremated before be could perform one. But I'm hoping that there's something in Clifford Blossom's autopsy report."

"Sounds about right for Penelope," I sigh.

"No one's home," Betty says, "Let's move on."

"Would Bogart move on?" Jug asks us. We smirk. "Let's just give it a try." He moves to open the door and it opens with ease. No lock no real block against anything.