Chapter 16

"Right. Joaquin may not be alone," Jug says, "Kevin said that he might be rolling with a new gang."

"Those Gargoyle creeps you saw?" Fangs asks.

"Exactly. And if the gang is working for the King, then they're gonna take us right to him," Jug says. He looks to me as the boys walk out. Begging me to not bring up the fight. I growl slightly.

"I'm going to help Betty," I say to him, "help, not sleep with. Got it? Can you understand that?"

"I went to far I'm sorry I'm just overwhelmed-he starts and I laugh angrily.

"So every time you get stressed out you get to take it out on me?" I ask him, "think about this. If you can't trust me maybe we shouldn't stay together. I love you more than anyone else but I can't keep playing this game with you. It hurts both of us and all our friends. So you think about it and I'll be with Betty."

"Babe-"

"Seriously Juggie just think for a little bit," I say to him as I cup his cheek. He sighs letting me go. Once in my car I head over to Betty's to help her get the parents together a text request of Betty's. The car ride let me focus on the thoughts bouncing around my head. Archie was getting worse for one. A high fever the last time he was checked. But last night for us to laugh and had fun was great. I really enjoyed it.

****

Betty and I stand outside Pop's as she leans against the diner. All the letters were delivered and we were preparing to reach the parents.

"Well according to Jughead I'm hooking up with you now," I laugh to her. She giggles slightly.

"That's a bit of a stretch," she says and I nod.

"Yeah," I emphasize, "its a huge stretch. Like a ridiculous conclusion to jump to just because we are friends again."

"Maybe he's just nervous you'll leave him?" She offers.

"If that's it he's doing a bad job," I say to her, "ready to go in?" Before she can say anything her phone rings loudly. She looks to me apologetically and answers.

"Hey Kev," She says.

"Oh tell him I say hi! To both of them," i say to her. She rolls her eyes playfully.

"Y/n says hi," She says, "so what's up?" Her face changes. "Take him to the address he'll help." He responds frantically. She waves us to move on to walk into the diner. I lead the way to the Speakeasy. Settling into the phone box in the back to get into the speakeasy. "It's okay, Kevin. He's a doctor. We can trust him. Oh, and bring small bills." She hangs up once we get through and looks to me, "the wounds infected."

"Jesus," I say softly, "he okay?"

"Kevin is taking him to the doctor friend of mine," Betty says, "he'll be just fine." We walk down into the bar and everyone in the room looks over at us frantically. Annoyance fills their expressions as they notice it's only us.

"Elizabeth. Don't tell me this is your doing." Alice says harshly looking at her daughter.

"I wrote the invitations from the Gargoyle King," She says looking to them.

"What?" Alice asks as other slam their letters down.

"And I personally delivered them," I say to them, "the one on your desk Hiram was particularly fun. Veronica had to lead me keys. Speaking of-" I toss him the set of keys. "Spooky huh?"

"Look, you all came," Betty says to them.

"What are you up to?" Alice asks us. Lily, who wasn't supposed to be here, stands up from her spot beside Fred looking at me angrily. My eyes  widen at her attendance.