Chapter 14

As Betty and I stand looking at Josie, Kev, and Reggie. I fidget nervously as they recount the tale of their parents reactions. "So they said nothing? Admitted nothing?" Betty asks.

"All they did was lie and act like they didn't know about G&G," Kev says and I sigh loudly.

"Bury the lead, Kevin," Josie says, "They also announced they're getting married." Kev points to Josie as she scoffs sounding completely disgusted.

"Oh, seriously? As what, a smokescreen?" Betty asks. They shrug.

"I have no clue," Josie says.

"Awe but a wedding would be nice," I start as they all look at me like I'm stupid, "right right not the time got it." Reggie breaks his silence finally.

"You think that was a crazy reaction?" He asks pulling of his sunglasses to reveal a dark purple bruise on his eye. "This is what I got when I asked my dad about that stupid game."

"Reggie oh my god!" I exclaim stepping towards him, "are you okay?"

"I'm fine," He says as I stand beside him, "but I'm confused. Why are our parents being so cagey about something that happened 25 years ago? What aren't you telling us?" Betty and I look to each other. As she opens her mouth I turn back to him.

"Maybe we should talk to someone about your dad hitting you," I say softly, "I've been there." He looks at me and raises a brow.

"It's only this one time-"

"That's how it starts," I tell him, "it's always how it starts."

"Guys, whatever this is, it has to wait," We hear a frantic Veronica says as she dramatically marches into the room.

"What's wrong, Vee?" Betty asks her.

"I mean it's pretty serious Reggie's dad-"

"I saw Archie," She interrupts. Suddenly I feel my heart race nervously for the boy like my brother, "He's caught up in some diabolical teen fight-club. And I need to break him out of juvie before he dies or kills somebody. And you all have to help me." I look to Kevin who I had a conversation about this with yesterday. My mouth wide open and confused through and through.

"Yeah yeah of course," I say to her, "is he okay?"

"For now he seems fine," Veronica says but she looks on nervously, "but I don't know how long that will last... just meet me at the speakeasy in an hour Okay?"

"Okay," Betty says and the rest of us nod.

"Let me get Jug," I say to her, "the more hands on the better right?" She nods.

"This seems right up his alley," Veronica says, "get him. And hurry to the speakeasy."

"Yeah," I say and look to the other, "I'll met you all there. Betty you come with me."

"Sure Yeah Alright," She says. I grab her arm gently and we rush out to my truck. Moving quickly through the school to my truck. As we get there and we both climb in she finally speaks up. "Are you sure about this?"

"About what?" I ask starting the car and rolling out of the parking lot.

"Getting Jug involved he's just- really preoccupied," She says honestly. I think on it for a second. She is right after all. His mind is so plagued with the game that it's all he seems to do. He doesn't really sleep or eat. He skips school. He's just a shell of his old self.

"Maybe," I say softly, "this will help him get back in touch with reality?" As the words leave my mouth I'm completely unsure of them. It was worth the shot.