Chapter 28

Amanda and I sit down at Jug's place watching movies and chatting. Amazingly it is fairly relaxed and there are running around in circles.

"She was a little wild," Amanda says to Jug, "But I can't say she's the only one. Her brother ran around with us before he- ya know."

"We didn't know he killed himself at first," I admit to Jug, "all of us kids ran pretty wild and were known to disappear for a couple days. But then his foster parents found him."

"By then he had been dead for a day or two," Amanda says. The mood growing sad. I lean my head on Jug's shoulder as he traces shapes into my arm. "He was a good guy. Just messed up like the rest of us."

"Can I ask why you were in the system?" Jug asks her. She nods.

"Well my birth parents didn't want kids," she explains, "they were abusive during my younger years and then I ran away. I mean I was born addicted so it was the best choice out of them all."

"Born addicted?" Jug asks looking over at me. I nod.

"It happens a lot more than you think," I say to him, "some moms can't be bothered to stop using during the pregnancy."

"That's crazy," He says softly, "I've never heard of that." Here's the biggest separation between Jug and I. He's only ever known Riverdale and the shit that happens here. It's all murders and sketchy people climbing the social tower. But that's all been recent. As a kid the biggest thing to happen was my mom and sisters murder. And that was huge for the whole town. Now people are murdered left and right. But New York And Chicago are a hundred times worse in every way. I've seen some ridiculous stuff.

"When I left my last foster home and got custody to transfer to my aunt my foster parents were pretty messed up," I tell Jug, "they fostered about 7 or 8 kids. They only did it for the money they get out of it and didn't do much for us other than let us stay at the house. Even then I was getting kicked out all the time."

"That's the thing about being in the foster system is that there are so many kids in it. But not enough parents who actually care," Amanda says, "But there are always those few that are perfect because they actually care about the well being of these already messed up kids."

"Jug," I hear Fangs exclaim as he and Sweet Pea come barreling into the house with Gladys. The boys are beaten pretty bad.

"What the hell happened?" I ask them. 

"The Pretty Poisons," Sweet Pea scoffs then looks over to Amanda,  "I could have taken them but I won't hit a girl."

"They seemed to be just fine hitting you though," Jug scoffs, "Y/n get the first aid kit." I follow the simple order and Amanda and I move to help bandage the boys up. Gladys doesn't seem impressed by our boys.

"You guys are a joke," Gladys huffs, "Jug, if you don't get your house in order, more people are going to defect and more gangs are going to start popping up. And the Serpents' little piece of the pie is going to get smaller and smaller."

"Yeah well there isn't much to get in order anymore," I say with a slight attitude. We have about 12 people adults included. It's not what it used to be.

"The store's open for suggestions, Mom," Jug says, "You got any?"

"You need numbers," She says to me, "Now I happen to know for a fact the Ghoulies are up for grabs. Ever since I took care of Penny, they've been leaderless. Recruit 'em."

"No offense but that is a awful idea," I say to her, "we don't want them."

"The Ghoulies tried to burn down Pop's on riot night," Jug says to his mom continuing off of my point. She sighs.