Chapter 42

"I didn't think this would be how everything came together," I say as I tighten my grip on Jug's hand. "Listen if anything happens-"

"No no don't say that," He says to me, "we'll get through this. All of us." I sigh nodding.

"But just in case," I say to him, "I want you to know that this has been the best two years of my life. I love you so much."

"I love you too," He says to me, "and its a great thing that I get to say I'm officially dating the Y/n L/n."

"And its great I get to say I'm officially dating the Jughead Jones," I say to him. I peck his cheek as we keep moving. All the signs point to the same direction. We reach the stop seeing a table, a bottle, and chalices. We move towards it quickly. All of us anxiously waiting and hoping it isn't us. We see the card Enchantress. "It's you Veronica," I say to her. Jug seizes the quest envelope from the table opening it at once.

"The Fate and Fortune Challenge." He reads out to us, "Before you are six chalices, each filled with Gargoyle blood. The Enchantress must choose her closest companion. They will each take turns spinning the bottle and drinking from the chosen chalice. But beware, for one of the chalices contains a lethal, rapid-acting venom."

"Seriously? Spin the bottle?" She asks in disbelief at the setup before her.

"More like Russian roulette," Archie says to her.

"That's suicide," She exclaims, "I refuse."

"Refusal to participate in the challenge results in the immediate execution of all remaining party members. Remember, we're watching," Jug reads out once again.

"Veronica you have to do it," I say to her. She looks over to me tensely. I don't want her to die sure. However I don't want all of us to die either. "Just pick one of us. We'll do it."

"Vee, the scroll says you have to choose your closest companion," Betty says, "I volunteer."

"Betty, no," Veronica protests.

"It's okay. I have faith," Betty says, "And what's the alternative? We get shot in the woods by snipers?"

"I'm having a diabolical sense of deja vu," Veronica says. I move towards Jug as he wraps his arms around me. The bottle spins landing on the first chalice. Veronica grabs it taking a slow sip. We all watch her closely wondering if that one was it. She tosses it aside.

"How do you feel?" Betty asks the raven headed girl as tears brim in their eyes.

"I think I'm fine," Veronica says. Betty moves to spin her bottle. A layer of dread falls over me at the realization someone will die at the end of this quest. We lose one of these girls and we are supposed to be okay with it. Betty's bottle stops and she takes her cup. She takes a sip then tosses the cup aside.

"I'm okay, Vee," Betty says. They go back and fourth assuring they are okay after every cup. The glass bottle dragging along creates the tense mood. Back and fourth back and fourth until two bottles are left. Veronica with a soft whimper spins the bottle. It halts on the bottle closet to her. "50-50 odds." Veronica lifts the cup to her mouth. We watch every single movement waiting for something. Suddenly she tosses it aside meaning she's made it. Betty would be the one to die.

"I can't watch this," I say softly as I look away. Would we die if we interfere? I'd rather die than either of them. What if I grab the cup?

"Okay," Betty says as her voice trembles in fear. She doesn't want to die. Not like this no now.

 Not like this no now