Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It had been three months since Kate first came to Brooke High. It was evening, and she was on her way to Lanie's place. She had to pick up some notes from her place and then get back home to complete the assignments that had to be submitted the next day.

They were seated in Lanie's room, on her bed, and their conversation suddenly turned serious.
"Kate, I've been wanting to ask you something..."

"What is it... shoot"

"umm… Are you and rick dating or something?"

Kate almost choked on her drink.
"what! No! What gave you that idea?"

Lanie just glared at her

"Lanie, we're just friends. Rick and I. we're just really good friends. There's nothing more."

"Are you sure about that sweetie?"

"Well of course I'm sure, but why are you asking me this?"

"Kate, I see you two every day, I don't need someone to spell it out to me... it's pretty clear you guys like each other"

"Lanie, it's nothing of the sort"

"Then tell me, why aren't you dating anyone yet? A girl like you has guys lining up behind her."

Kate thought for a second and said "Hey, it's not like guys haven't asked me out, I've just not replied in the positive…"

"Kate..."

"Lanie, I really don't know where this conversation is heading, but I'll tell you one thing, I'm not in a relationship with Rick, we're just friends. Really."

"Whatever you say honey." She finally let it drop.

That night Kate was lying in bed, staring up at her ceiling and thinking to herself. 'Rick's my best friend, nothing more. He cares for me; I care for him, as friends. Right?'

but her conversation with Lanie kept replaying in her head, what was stopping her from saying no to the several guys who had asked her out in the last three months she'd been here? Did it have something to do with Rick?

No, it couldn't. They were just friends. Why would Rick have a problem with her dating other guys? It's not like they were together or something. They were just friends. Right?

As if on cue, her phone beeped with a text, she quickly opened it. It was a text from Rick 'Goodnight Kate. Sweet dreams. Oh and I need those notes you borrowed from Lanie, she wouldn't give them to me, she kept saying something about how guys are such lazy people. But you'll share them with me, won't you? I mean, I'm your best friend, you can't deny me this. :P'

a smile crept onto her lips as she typed a reply back. 'I'll get them tomorrow, don't stress :D Night Rick.'

'You're the best, you know that?' came his reply.

'So I've been told ;)'she typed, but fell asleep just before hitting send.
And that's just the way she found it when she woke the next morning. But it didn't make sense sending it now.

She quickly got out of bed, and walked into the shower to get ready for class. She needed to meet Josh Davidson today, take him up on his invitation to share a coffee with him. She sent him a text. 'Is your offer for coffee still standing?, I think I could use it today'