Chapter 6

Chapter 6

When Rick opened his front door, he found his mom in the kitchen getting herself a glass of water. "Hey kiddo, where've you been?"

"Sorry mother, I was at Kate's place"

Rick went over to the couch and sat down. He ran his hand through his hair, and then down his face. He sighed heavily and then rested his head back on the sofa. He felt the seat beside him dip.

"What's wrong Richard?"

"I don't know, I'm not really sure."

"Do you want to tell me about it?"

"Mother, I think I'm falling in love with Kate."

He heard a laugh escape his mother's lips; he turned to look at her "what's so funny?"
"Rick, you've been in love with her since the first day you met her"

"what? No I haven't! Why are you saying that?"

"Cause I know. Mother's know these things Richard."

He stared at her, waiting for her to continue. she took his hand in hers, "You've been in love with her for quiet sometime, but as long as she was not in a relationship with anyone else, you knew you had her all to yourself, but now that she's started dating someone else, you're afraid you're losing her"

"I never thought of it that way"

"well are you going to say something to her?"

"What? No, I can't mother. She really likes this guy she's dating. I'm not going to do something stupid and then ruin what we have, our friendship is worth more than that, I don't want to risk it"

"Richard, you can't just make yourself stop loving her. Love is not a switch you can just turn off that way. She deserves to know what you feel for her."

he stood up "No! I'm not going to tell her anything. She's happy with him. And if she's happy, I'm happy for her."

"are you really? Have you ever thought for once maybe she has the same feelings for you, and that you could be the one keeping her happy instead of Josh"

Rick, didn't want to talk about this anymore. It was making him sick.

"Mother, I'm tired. I'm going to bed, goodnight"

"night kiddo. Sleep well"

Martha knew her son loved Kate immensely. But she also knew he wasn't happy seeing her be happy with someone else. She just hoped both of them would come to their senses and admit their feelings for each other.

Saturday night came too soon. 'What were you thinking, saying it was okay to let Josh come over for movie night? Now you gotta sit in the same room that he does and watch him make out with Kate.'
The voice in him spoke. And it made him sick.

They were half way through the movie, and he abruptly got up and walked out the living room, towards his room. Lanie saw him getting up, and she knew exactly why too. Love birds Kate and Josh were in their own world, whispering and kissing. And it took Kate a few minutes until she realized Rick's absence in the room.

She asked out loud to no one in particular, "Where's Rick?"

"He got up and went toward his room a few minutes back" came Lanie's reply.

Kate was beginning to worry now. Rick had been acting different around her lately, he wasn't himself. He'd been avoiding her ever since that night at her place. He'd rush away every time Josh approached them after class, he wasn't replying like he used to, to her texts ever night.

Josh was never a texting person, and she loved the little conversations she'd have with Rick almost every night. But something was changing in Rick, and she was afraid he was pulling away.

Josh was nipping at her ear now, saying something about how beautiful she is. But Kate couldn't bring her mind to pay attention to him. Rick had disappeared for quite some time now. And it made her feel uneasy.

Josh must have realized she wasn't in the mood anymore, so he paid attention to the movie along with the rest of them.

Rick sat at his desk in his study. Staring at his laptop screen. He heard footsteps make their way towards him. There was only one other fingerprint that his door locking system would recognize and that was his mother's.

"Mother, you were right." He said, not exactly needing to look up to know it was her.

"When am I not darling?"

he finally looked up to her, and said, "I need to get out of here. I need time to clear my mind. Get myself sorted out. The more I stay around here, the more hard I find it to watch her be with someone else...
God! I love her so much mother, I never knew love would hurt so much."

His eyes were moist and he was fighting tears back, he didn't want to break down in front of his mother.
"What are you going to do about it?" she asked him.

He exhaled deeply and then said "I'm gonna travel a bit around the continent. I'll ask Gina to speak to the trustees again, I need to take a few days off from college"

"what are you going to tell them?" she asked, nodding her head towards the living room. "What are you going to tell her?"

He stood up now, "I'm not going to say anything just yet, I'll send her a text before I leave tomorrow." He walked towards his bedroom.

When Martha walked into the Kitchen, she saw Kate coming toward her. "Mrs. Rodgers, is Rick alright? Where is he?"

Martha could see the amount of concern in her eyes; she knew something was up with him.

"Katherine Darling, he went off to bed, he said he was feeling a little unwell. But he didn't want to spoil you're evening, so don't worry you guys can continue your movie."

Kate seemed deep in thought... She looked towards his door. "Why doesn't he let anyone into his study, into his room?"

Martha just smiled. "I can't really tell you that darling, but I know one thing's for sure. If ever, one day he's ready to let someone in there, I think you'd be the first one."

Martha didn't wait for her reaction. She just squeezed Kate's shoulder and walked towards the staircase.

Kate walked back into the living room and told the others that Rick's not too well so he went off to bed. It wasn't too long until the movie got over, and they let themselves out.

Kate being the last one to leave the door, she waited for a minute, wondering if rick would come out of his room to see her out. But, he didn't come.

She'd text him tomorrow and find out what's wrong, she'd talk to him before class and sort things out. Something was up with him and it worried her more than she knew it would. She was surprised how much she cared for him.

She was home now, and she couldn't stop thinking about him. She was afraid he was hiding something important from her. She knew him better than anyone else, he had told her that himself one night when they were texting. She just wished he'd open up to her, and tell her what's wrong. She drifted off to sleep thinking of him.