Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Rick turned the key in the door, and opened his front door. Kate walked in, and he followed behind her.
"Would you like something to drink?"

"water will do"
he got her a glass of water, she took a sip and said "so, what's this secret thing you want to show me?"

"It's not a thing; it's a room."

Kate nodded. Then realization hit her. He wanted to show her his room.

The very room that he had always kept so secretive. He never let anyone in there.
"Rick, are you talking about your room?"

He nodded with a mischievous smile on his face.

She raised an eyebrow to him. "Ok, show me what's so special about your room that you hide it from everyone"

he chuckled and led the way. When they were in front of his door he looked at her.
"are you sure you want to see what's in here?"

"Rick just open the door already." she laughed.
He unlocked the digital lock with his thumb, and then allowed her to open the door and step in. She walked in a few steps, and then stopped. He was behind her now.
"Well? What do you think?"

Kate looked around, there was a sofa, a TV screen, a desk with a laptop on it, a huge painting on the wall behind, he had shelves and shelves of books lined up on the wall, and all around the room she noticed now, he had framed pictures of all the cover arts of Richard Castle's books along the walls of the room.

When Kate had entered the room she expected to see a bed, and just the other furniture a bedroom would have. But this was clearly not his bedroom. Then she spotted a door that led into another room and that was probably his bedroom. She spoke out loud, knowing he was somewhere behind her "this is not your bedroom"

"I'm flattered, you want to see my bedroom. However, we've not even gone out on a date yet. So getting in bed with me would be taking this relationship to a whole new level... Not that I would complain." he wiggled his eyebrows at her, sizing her up to down with his eyes.

and there was that blush again. Thank god he was standing behind her.

"You know that was not what I was implying."

"Then what were you implying?" he teased.

she turned to look at him, and said "that's not important now. What I want to know is, why you hid the fact that you're such a huge fan of Richard Castle from me?" she poked at his chest.

He spoke with laughter in his voice

"Kate, I'm not a fan..."

"clearly, you're not just a fan; you're a creepy fan." she replied smugly.
"Which normal fan keeps framed copies of cover art in their study?" she had turned around to look at the room again, she heard his footsteps coming closer to her.

"Kate, I'm not a fan"

"oh come on, why are you so ashamed to admit it."

He laughed, and she realized he was standing just behind her.
"I'm not ashamed to admit anything...
Kate, I am Richard Castle"

"and where did you get those from anyway? Do they sell them that way?" she blabbered on, not realizing what he had just said.

"Kate" he stopped her, she turned around,

"what? I'm sorry, U said something?" she asked and took another sip of water.

He put his hands on her shoulders, to get her full attention.

"I am Richard Castle."

She stood there, and just glared at him for a moment.

"Okay, so you just confirmed it. You're one of those kind of crazy fans."

She stated and turned back to look at the room.

"No Kate, I am the real author Richard Castle, my real name is Richard Rodgers, but when you ghost write books, you change your identity. I am Richard Castle".

She stood frozen in place, realization of what he had just said, finally sinking in.