Chapter 16

Chapter 16

There was a knock on the Beckett's front door. Jim pulled open the door to find a suited Rick, panting, and looking quite nervous.

"Mr. B, I need to speak with Kate."

"Rick, if you have something to do with the fact that my Katie's moping all evening, I will see to it that you go home tonight injured"

"Mr B... I didn't... Just please, let me go talk to her..."

Jim was just about to say something back to him, when his wife came up behind him
"Jim, let the boy in."

Jim looked at his wife for a second, and then moved away from the door and into the living room. Rick stepped in, and stood in front of Johanna. She smiled at him and nodded, he whispered a soft thank you, and ran upstairs towards Kate's room.

He was going to make things right tonight.

Kate was sitting in her bed, her ice-cream tub emptied and placed on her bedside table. She had finally succeeded in stopping her tears from falling. She sighed heavily, and leaned her head back against the tall headboard of her bed, keeping her eyes closed.

She suddenly heard something and it sounded like Rick's voice, but it was far away. 'Funny' she thought. Exactly what he was to her now. 'Far away.'

And then she heard his voice again, the sound of her name. She must really be hallucinating. She was hearing his voice in her head now.

Oh but the sound of her name from his lips sounded so Sweet. And there it was again, a tear making its way down her cheek.

She suddenly felt someone touch her foot; she opened her eyes to find Rick standing at the foot of her bed. And she didn't think it was possible, but the heartache she was feeling all evening had just vanished.

She felt a warmth in her that only his gaze on her could create. She wanted to smile, but she couldn't. She suddenly remembered why she was here moping in bed, and not at the Sweet hearts'dance with the one man she had come to love and adore so much.

"Why are you here?"

"I'm here to take you to the Sweethearts dance with me Kate"

"You're too late, just leave me alone, I don't want to talk to you"

He stepped around her bed, to come closer to her. "Kate, I'm sorry, I had no idea, and it's not like me, to have acted so dumb, I usually get these things right"

Kate remained quiet.

"But clearly, I made a mistake, I was stupid. And I want to make it up to you."

"Go away Rick, please"

The tears just wouldn't stop falling from her eyes.

After what seemed like a very long minute, she heard his voice again.
"Kate, you have my guitar don't you?"

What! She was crying here, and he wanted to know where his guitar was.

She nodded towards the corner of her room where his guitar case was standing. "It's over there"

He had been teaching her to play it. that was long before he had left for a month when she started dating Josh. He let her keep it so that she could practice whenever she got the time.

Kate watched him take off his suit, and throw it on her bed; he then walked to the guitar, and took it out of the case.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

He didn't say a word; he just took the guitar in hand and sat before her. Before she knew what was happening, he was plucking the strings with such ease, creating a beautiful melody, and then he looked up at her, and began to sing...

I can't fight this feeling any longer. And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow.
What started out as friendship, Has grown stronger.
I only wish I had the strength to let it show.

I tell myself that I can't hold out forever. I said there is no reason for my fear.
Cause I feel so secure when we're together.
You give my life direction, You make everything so clear.

And even as I wander, I'm keeping you in sight.
You're a candle in the window, On a cold, dark winter's night.
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might.

And I can't fight this feeling anymore. I've forgotten what I started fighting for.
It's time to bring this ship into the shore, And throw away the oars, forever.

Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore. I've forgotten what I started fighting for.
And if I have to crawl upon the floor, Come crushing through your door,
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore.

My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you. I've been running round in circles in my mind.
And it always seems that I'm following you, girl, Cause you take me to the places,
That alone I'd never find.

And even as I wander, I'm keeping you in sight.
You're a candle in the wind, On a cold, dark winter's night.
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might.

And I can't fight this feeling anymore. I've forgotten what I started fighting for.
It's time to bring this ship into the shore, And throw away the oars, forever.

Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore. I've forgotten what I started fighting for.
And if I have to crawl upon the floor, Come crushing through your door,
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore.

He looked down at his fingers as he played the outro music, and then strummed the last chord.

When he looked back up at her, she had a small smile on her face.
"I can't give you anything but love Kate, and I just hope you can forgive me, and let me take you out.."