Chapter 22

Chapter 22

When Kate woke the next morning, she was feeling different, happier, lighter, she reached for her phone and saw a text from him "I have a vivid imagination, so when you do things like that, know that even my sleeping mind can conjure up dreams with vivid details ;-) . Thanks for making my dreams extraordinary. Good morning."

She chuckled, and then quickly typed a reply
"good morning writer boy, how's your morning going so far?"

"Shiney" came his reply. She laughed. And was alerted by another text from him.
"Can I take you out for coffee?"

Kate looked at her alarm clock; it was
"pick me up in half an hour?"

"Sure thing" came his reply.

Kate brushed, showered and got into her jeans and a t-shirt. She went downstairs and into the kitchen. Jim was sitting at the table, reading the morning paper. She kissed him on the cheek "good morning".

"Good morning... Hmm Katie, you're in a good mood today. Had fun last night?"

She stood beside her mom, watching her make pancakes. "Yea yea, it was... Nice"

"what would you like for breakfast today?" Johanna asked.

"Uhh... Actually, I'm going out with Rick for breakfast."

Kate noticed her mother smiling; she softly said "what?"

"Oh nothing, is he coming over to pick you up?"

"Yea, he should be on his way"

Kate picked up a strawberry and bit into it, closing her eyes to relish the sweet fruit. She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, it was Rick.

"You ready? I'm just reaching your place"

"yea, I'll meet you outside" she replied.

She kissed her mom on the cheek, "bye, I'll see you later ok"

"have a good day at work dad" she said over her shoulder, before opening the front door. He had just reached their drive way. He was wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and a charming smile that just made her morning perfect.

She walked up to him, and hadn't realized how big her own smile was until he wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her smiling lips. He hummed into the kiss; she pulled away a little and softly asked, "What?"

"You taste of strawberries and Kate..."

"Well, you better change that to coffee and Kate, because I could really do with some breakfast. You don't want to see what I'm like when I'm deprived of coffee"

He chuckled. They held hands and walked a few blocks down to a café. As they shared breakfast together, they talked and talked, and it was just like old times again. They were the same, yet so different.

They were together now, and knowing that the other felt the same way about them made it easier to open up, much more than they ever had.

Kate had only just realized how much she appreciated the sound of his voice. It was deep, soothing, and comforting. Delicious, she'd sum it up, if that were an adjective to describe sound.

Yea, delicious, just like his lips, his tongue, and his neck. She so wanted to taste more of him yesterday, and just that thought was enough to make her feel hot and bothered.

"You okay?" he asked with a smirk. He must have noticed she was distracted.

"Yea, I'm fine..."

"You don't look fine, you look... thirsty... Do you want another coffee?"

'Only if I could taste it off your lips' she thought. She shook her head, 'get a hold of yourself Kate! Sheesh'

"no no, I'm good. Thanks..." she smiled.

"So, uh, you want to do something tonight, maybe go for a movie or something?"

"Yea, I'd like that."

Kate had just reached home. She found her mom in the kitchen cutting up some fruit, preparing a salad.
"Hey"

"hey you're back, how was breakfast?"

Kate picked up a grape and popped it into her mouth.
"Was good"

"so, you and Rick ha?"

Kate chuckled "what about us?"

"I don't know, you tell me"
she put the knife down and now smirked at her daughter.

Kate rolled her eyes at her mom's interest to know what's going on between her and Rick.
She smiled and said
"we're dating."

"i knew it"

"then why'd you ask"

"just wanted to hear it from you, besides, the smile on your face when you came in here this morning was enough to tell me you two had sorted things out"

"was it that obvious?" she laughed. And then continued, "What about dad?"

"You know he was never good at reading people, but I think he'll figure it out eventually. It's hard not to notice when your only daughter is prancing around with a light in her eyes"

"Rick does that to me I guess," she stared at the cutting board absent-mindedly.

"Well, he makes you happy and that's all that matters." she squeezed her hand lightly. Just then Johanna's phone began to ring;

she picked it up and spoke. And when she was done, she turned to Kate.
"Honey, do you have plans with Rick tonight?"

"yea, why"

"I'm sorry sweetheart, you'll have to cancel, your dad just called, and he said your uncle and aunt have invited the two of us to a married couples party tonight, and they need you to babysit Allyfor the evening, until we're back."

"Oh" Kate said, disappointment written all over her face.

"Great."

"Kate..."

"no no, I understand, I mean I love being with Allyan all, but it's just, I was really looking forward to seeing Rick tonight" she paused, then got off her stool, and said "I better go call Rick and tell him"

"I'm sorry honey"

Kate turned back and smiled "you owe me."

Johanna chuckled. She felt bad for having to ask Kate to cancel her date with Rick, but they'd have many more to cover up for this one.