Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Kate had walked out of the gym feeling really good. She had just made a really courageous move. But it was the only thing she could think of doing after he asked if she still saw him as a friend. Because she knew now, they were undoubtedly more than just friends.

She was back in the lunch room now, with the rest of them. Rick had freshened up and joined them, now siting by her side. Now and then she noticed him stealing glances at her, and she liked it. Liked that he was a little on edge after that incident in the gym.

She had hoped it would leave him questioning what it meant.

Kate lightly let her leg brush against his, and he looked at her, she smirked at him and then looked back at the rest of them, continuing in the discussion that was going on at their table. And Kate noticed from the side of her eye, he was smiling.

"The Sweet hearts' dance night's coming up..." Jenny said, nodding towards a few of the student council members who were now putting up poster's around the lunch room.

"Already?" Lanie asked... "Where did the whole year go?"

"Life is what happens when you're busy making love..." Kevin joked... And Lanie threw an empty carton towards him.

The Sweet hearts' dance was a social event, something like prom, only without king and queen. it was a yearly tradition at Brooke High, and every student mostly came with a partner to dance with.

Javier spoke. "Well, it's obvious I'm taking Lanie to the Sweet hearts' dance, and Kevin's taking jenny. What about you Kate? Anyone asked you yet?"

All eyes were on her now, including the pair of deep blue she had come to adore lately.

"Well... No one's asked me yet, but there's someone in this room who has hinted to me that he might ask me out, I just hope he makes a move fast"

She was smirking. And she found it completely adorable that Rick, clueless that he was, was now looking around the room. She wanted to laugh out loud.

"And what about you Rick?" Javier asked.

His attention was brought back to the table now

"Huh?" he asked.

"Yea Rick, who's going to be the lucky girl?" Kate teased.

Rick was suddenly feeling so confused it wasn't even funny.

Kate was sending him mixed signals, and it was messing with his head real bad. Who was she talking about when she said someone had hinted at taking her to the Sweet hearts' dance?

Rick looked around, could it be Erik Vaughn, that guy had girls drooling all over him, but Kate was not one to be part of the drooling party.

He looked towards another table, could it be William Sorenson, the guy wasn't as popular as Erik, but he was good looking, and smart, and apparently a girl magnet.. But it was hard to imagine Kate wanting to go to the Sweet hearts' dance with him

Then of course there was Michael Royce, who'd been trying to ask Kate out even before Josh. Maybe Kate finally thought of giving him a chance.

But Rick wasn't sure of anything right now. That kiss she gave him in the gym, obviously meant something, and had he remembered the Sweet hearts' dance was soon approaching, he would have asked her out there itself.

But like a guy who'd been kissed for the first time, he had just stood there, shocked beyond repair that Katherine Beckett had kissed him.. And now he had no idea what to do.

They wanted to know who he was taking to the Sweet hearts' dance.

"Uh... I don't know yet, I haven't thought about it..."

"Well I've got recommendations for you." Javier said to him. And if he was not mistaken, Kate was suddenly choking hard on her sip of water. He began rubbing her back with his hand, "you alright?"

She cleared her Throat, and said "yea, I'm fine."

Just then the bell rang out, and they all got up to go to their classrooms. Rick walked Kate to her class as usual... As they left the lunch room, he asked her "so, this guy you want to go to Sweet hearts' dance with, how well do you know him? I mean how are you so sure he'll ask you?"

Kate smiled smugly to herself

" I think I know him really well, we've gotten to know each other really well lately, and I think he'll ask me cause he knows I want to go with him, and only him"

Rick nodded, "oh, okay... Well then I hope he mans up quickly and asks you..."

Rick waved out to her and made his way quickly to his next class.
Kate smiled after him. 'Yup, I hope you do.'

Rick could be so smart and so clueless at the same time. It made her adore him more. She knew he wasn't seeing through her teasing yet, but she hoped he will soon. She really didn't want to go to the Sweet hearts' dance with anyone but him.