Chapter XII

A/N: Just a little cation, there may be a disturbing scene about a suicide attempt. If that is too much, just skip that part. It is italiced.

Thea sighed. She missed her parents so much right now. How is her mother holding up? She looked up in the sky and mentally said a prayer for her and her father. 

 –Is everything alright?-Someone asked. Thea turned around to the beautiful, slightly deep voice.

 –Yeah. T-thanks.-She smiled faintly at Kai. He didn't smile back. Um, OK, what's his problem? Thea ignored him and he ignored her the rest of the day until they stopped to sleep. As everybody cuddled to sleep, Thea looked up to see a full shining moon. So beautiful! 

She didn't dare to move her head the other way, because Kai was still not sleeping. She yawned and closed her eyes. The feeling of warmth rushed her veins, as Kai put his arms around her.

 –Kai?-She asked. Her companion hummed in response. 

–Is Kai your full name or a nickname?-She asked, sleepily. 

 –Nickname.-He responded dryly. 

 –What's the full name?-She asked, not opening her eyes. 

 –Kaison James.-He said shortly. –If you ever tell anyone or will call me that, you'll deeply regret it.-He said. 

 –Oh, what're you gonna do?-She asked. –Stab me?-She looked up on him. 

 –I will kiss you.-He said, not even blinking once. The grin on Thea's face disappeared. Her cheeks turned rosy and she looked down. He was kidding, right? Even worse, she didn't know what to do with his arms around her.

Trying not to think about his words, Thea closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep. After ten minutes of nothing, she sat up straight and someone groaned quietly, as they fell behind her. 

 –Can't sleep?-Kai asked, getting up. Thea jumped lightly. 

 –Mhm.-She said. –You? 

 -I was close, but now I can't.-He said. 

 –How did you become like this?-Thea asked. 

 –I got into debt, couldn't pay off, saw a loved person die in front of my eyes, and now this is my last job. If everything goes through perfectly, I'm free.-He said. 

 –Loved person? Was it a girl?-She asked. Kai tensed up. 

 –What do you mean?

 -Was it that girl in the book?-Thea asked timidly, regretting for opening her mouth. 

 –How and what do you know?-He asked, looking angry at her. 

 –When you were out bringing the stuff to clean my feet, I saw a book and got curious. It's actually one of my favorites. –Thea said. Kai looked irritated. –But um, I saw something peeking out and looked. –She looked at him. –I'm sorry for invading in your privacy. –She added sincerely.

 –Don't look through my stuff again. –He said, coldly. Thea nodded. It was awkwardly quiet for about a minute. –You probably want to know who it was.-He finally said. 

 –I don't need to know. –Thea said.

 –But do you want to?-He asked. 

 –I am curious. But if that is something you do not want to talk about, then don't.-She said.