Chapter XXIII

-What are you reading?-A voice asked, making Thea jump.

She looked up, startled.

-Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.-Kai said. Thea shook her head.

-No, I'm sorry, I was distracted.-She said. –What's up?-She asked.

-I'm going out again, and was wondering if you wanna go too.-Kai said.

-And get stuck in with you in the middle of nowhere again?-Thea teased.

Kai rolled his eyes and smirked.

-Maybe.-He shrugged playfully.

Thea gave a short laugh. She closed the book and put it on the table.

-I'm in.-She said.

-Where are we going?-Thea asked when they got in the car.

-Grocery shopping. –Kai said.

-Didn't Alex go for that?-She asked. Kai drove out of the driveway.

-Yeah.-Kai nodded.

-Then why are we going?-Thea asked confused.

-I want to get food for just us. We're gonna have to leave soon, so it'll be good if we have some snacks and food for the run.

-Ah.-Thea nodded.

They drove the rest of the way to the store in silence. When they arrived, Kai threw her a cap and quickly got out of the car and ran to the other side.

-Thank you.-Thea smiled, as he opened the door for her. She put on her cap and Kai lowered his.

-Who knew you were a gentleman.-Thea teased, when he closed the door.

-I'm not.-Kai said, clenching his jaw. Thea laughed and he twitched his lips, trying not to smile.

They walked into the store, Thea grabbed a cart, and they went to the granola bar aisle. Kai put four different boxes in the cart and asked which ones she wanted. Thea looked around and took a box of extra chocolate, fudge, and chocolate chip granola bars, with caramel over them.

-You're just begging for diabetes.-Kai shook his head. Thea gave him a toothy grin.

They got some boxes of Caprisuns, two packs of water bottles, and some cereal along with a gallon of milk.

When they went to check out, there was a TV behind the cashier, with the NEWS playing.

Kai's high school picture was on the screen with the lady mouthing something. They both lowered their heads a little bit, not to be suspicious but also to make sure their faces weren't seen.

-How's your day going?-The lady asked.

-Good, thank you.-Kai said a little gruffly. –And yours?-He asked, making sure she doesn't turn around.

-Kind of boring.-She sighed. –You were my third customers today.

-Today is kinda slow?-He asked.

-Yes, very.-The lady nodded. –More time for me to sip on soda and read books. –She laughed. Thea laughed with her.

-Read "It Wasn't Because of Him", if you haven't read already.-Thea said. –I highly recommend it.-She smiled.

The lady found a pen and wrote in her palm.

-Thank you, I will definitely check it out!-She said, smiling big, showing her kind of straight, kind of yellow teeth, with a smudge of her red lipstick on the top of the front teeth.

They thanked the lady after she gave them the receipt and they went back to the car.

-What's the book about?-Kai asked.

-Hm?-Thea asked.

-The one you told her about. What's it about?-He asked.

-Read and find out.-Thea said. –Amy has it in her library.

-I don't like to read.-Kai said.

-Then you'll never know.-Thea shrugged.

Kai put the bags in the trunk and they drove off.

A/N: Hello! I am so sorry for not updating for so long! That will change :) The writer's block is being cured, so be prepared for new chapters. Here's a filler :)