Chapter XVIII

The library was bright and sunny, with shadows of trees inside. Somebody was pecking on the window, waking Thea up. She saw a little bird pecking at the seeds by the window, once in a while pecking at the glass.

She looked around and looked at the afghan. It smelled like lavender and she noticed a pillow that fell on the floor. There was dried lavender inside the pillowcase, giving a lightly sweet aroma.

Putting her glasses on, she tried to remember how she got here. Memories of the night before flashed before her eyes and she hid her head in the blanket.

She let out a moan of despair.

-Everything alright?-Someone asked.

Thea jumped a little bit and peeked out of the blanket. Kai was standing in front of her holding a little tray.

A mug with something that smelled like green tea and two small plates, one with a croissant with ham, cheese, and lettuce inside, and another with a blueberry-lemon scone and a chocolate muffin.

-It's already noon, I saved you some breakfast. –He said.

Thea brought her head up from the afghan and looked at the food hungrily.

-I slept that late?-She asked, taking the tray.

-Well what did you expect when you fall asleep at four in the morning.-Kai said. Thea smiled looking at the food with a big grin.

-Thank you. I'll eat it well.-She said, looking up. Kai nodded and left the library.

Munching on the sandwich, Thea wondered why Kai was so sweet to her. After finishing up the dessert and tea, she stood up to go to her room. She stopped by the kitchen to wash the plates and cup. Stunned, she froze in her spot.

Kai was standing in the kitchen, washing the dishes. He heard someone walk in and looked behind.

-Leave the tray on the table, I'll wash it.-He said, nodding towards the table.

Thea blinked a few times and then nodded.

-Thank you.-She said and went up to her room.

Dazed, she brushed her teeth really slowly, looking in the small mirror, thinking about what happened. She was not used to people doing sweet things like this, especially guys.

She brushed her hair lightly, put it into a ponytail, and changed into a baby blue oversized shirt and black biker shorts.

After reading the Bible, she put on some polka dot socks and went downstairs.

-Where is everyone else?-She asked Kai, who was wiping the table.

-They all went grocery shopping.-He replied shortly.

-Why didn't you go?-She asked in surprise. –Aren't you the boss or something?-She asked.

-They'll manage.-He said shortly. –We'll need to meet them at one place though, so put some shoes on and lets go.-He said.

Thea put on her black Nikes and waited for Kai.

Kai cleaned up the kitchen and a few minutes later, came back from his room, in black sweatpants and a dark gray hoodie, with the previous white shirt peeking out. He put on his converse and stuffed the shirt into his sweatpants.

-Let's go.-He said opening the door. Thea followed him outside to a black car. He opened the front door for her and she sat down inside, feeling awkward at the sudden acts of kindness.

After going for at least thirty minutes with light music in the background, the car started to jerk. Kai pulled over and went outside to see what happened. Opening the hood of the car, Thea saw a little bit of smoke coming out. Sighing, she went outside and came up to him.

-What's up?-She asked. Kai shrugged.

-I didn't finish my mechanical school year, so unfortunately I have no idea what to do here.-He admitted. He checked his phone.

-Well if anything couldn't have gone worse, there's no service here.-He groaned. Thea looked inside the hood.

-The smoke is white and overheating...I think you have a blown cylinder head gasket. –Thea said.-Kai's eyes widened. –The car either overheated or is low on coolant. The car should be seen by a mechanic in case if it's too bad, but otherwise I think the radiator hose needs to be replaced.-She added.

-How do you know all of this?-Kai asked.

-Eh, learned a thing or two from an old friend.-Thea said. –So what do we do now? There's no service, and it's not a good idea to drive the car...and we can't just leave the car here, but at the same time one of us can't go figure something out while the other one is in the car. –She rambled.

-Let's just leave the car and see if we can find a house or some help.-Kai said. Thea nodded.

The walked for a few seconds and Thea deeply regretted not taking a jacket with her. The sun wasn't shining anymore and there were dark clouds, that hinted at the fact that it might rain.

Kai took his hoodie off and gave it to her.

-Put it on, you'll freeze.-He said.

-You're the one who will freeze.-Thea said, pointing at his thin shirt.

-I'll be fine. You on the other hand, I don't think so.-He said.

Thea started to protest but Kai just threw his hoodie at her face and walked a little faster.

Thea rolled her eyes but smiled. She put his hoodie on and jogged a little bit to catch up with him.

-Why are you so sweet today?-She asked.

-What do you mean?-Kai asked coldly.

-You brought a blanket and a pillow and took my glasses off and bookmarked where I read. You brought me breakfast and washed the dishes, and you opened the door of the house and of the car for me, and now you gave me your hoodie. Why are you being so nice to me?-She asked.

-Cause I feel like you care too much about others and do everything for them, but you don't let others to do something kind to you.-Kai said. –I guess that's why.-He said.

Thea looked up at him and met his eyes.

-What?-He asked.

-You're not a bad guy, Kai. You pretend you're so tough on the outside, but such a softie on the inside.-She said.

Kai scoffed.

-Yeah, sure, whatever you say.-He said sarcastically.

Thea grinned at him and he rolled his eyes and grinned back at him.

-You're something else, Thea Wellington.-He told her.

A/N: Surprise! Another chapter! Hope you guys like this one and enjoyed the sweet side of Kai. Once again, I'm really sorry for not updating for a while. Hopefully, I'll update atleast once a week!

Hope you have an amazing day! <3