Chapter XIV

-How much longer do we have to walk?-Olivia whined. -Around two more days.-Alex said, giving her a bottle of water. Gratefully, Olivia put the backpack down and gulped half of the bottle down.
-We have to find something to stay in.            

-Thank you.-She sighed in relief. Alex nodded and helped her put the backpack on.

-Are you cold?-He asked. Olivia shook her head
–Hungry?-He asked again.

-Oh yes. I haven't eaten anything normal for such a long time! -Olivia said. On cue, her stomach growled loudly. Alex laughed and searched his backpack. He took a giant granola bar with a lot of white chocolate on top.

-Bon appetite.-He grinned. Gratefully, Olivia opened it and took a big bite. She moaned out of satisfaction.

-Oh this is delicious. –She said, covering her mouth, as it was full. Alex smiled at her. –You want some?
-She asked after she swallowed. He shook his head.

-I'm good, thanks. –He said, as they walked.

A few steps behind them, they could hear Thane mumbling and complaining about something.

Ben was telling Thea something, and there was a burst of laughter every five minutes.

His jaw clenched, Kai walked behind everyone else. Alex hid a smile, guessing the reason to why Kai was moody these days.

-What is your favorite movie or TV show?-Alex asked.                            

-I don't have a favorite one. But I'm a sucker for Korean dramas. They're all so cute and cheesy. But they're not annoying. –Olivia said. –What about you?

-I love a good comedy. –Alex said. –I don't really have a favorite one, but just anything that can make me laugh.-He shrugged.

-What about music? Do you like K-pop or something?-He asked.

Olivia shook her head vigorously.

-I do not like K-pop. More like hate it. I love Korean music and songs, but like the movie or show kind. No K-pop. And what about you? You look like the type to play instrumental or classic.-She teased.

Alex laughed.

-No, that's Kai. –He said. Olivia's eyebrows flew to the sky. 

-Kai? He likes classical music?-She asked. Alex nodded.

-It calms him down or something. He has this vinyl thing in his room, and he always played it. I'm more into rock or loud music. Something that has a great beat.-He said. Olivia nodded, a bit shocked.

-If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?-Olivia asked.

-Somewhere country. Maybe like Wyoming or something?-He shrugged. –You in a city?-He asked.

-If you asked me that a month ago, I'd say yes. Now? Somewhere with so much nature. Like in a forest or something. Or maybe country too.-Olivia smiled lightly. Alex smiled back.

They continued walking and talking until dawn.

***

After another fit of laughter, Thea sighed in relief when everyone stopped to camp out for the night. Her stomach hurt so much and her eyes stung a bit from the tears. Ben sure knew how to make someone laugh. She sat on the blanket and closed her eyes, leaning against a tree.

-You alright?-She heard someone ask. She opened her eyes halfway to see Ben grinning at her.

She scoffed.

-Don't make me laugh, please. My stomach hurts too much. –She said.

Ben let out a small laugh.

-Okay.-He agreed. –I'll go find something to eat.-He said. Thea didn't say anything, enjoying the silence. She opened her eyes and searched for Kai.

He was also on the ground, his head lying on a big smooth rock, with his hand under his head. The wind blew, and Thea shivered, but Kai was just lying there motionless. She got up and put a blanket over him. He didn't wake up. He looked a bit flushed and his breathing was not too steady.

Thea put the back of her hand on his forehead. It was warmish, but his nose was really cold.

And his lips were a bit bluish too.

Not caring if he wakes up or not, Thea wrapped the blanket around him, so there would be no air coming in.

He looked like a big fat caterpillar with his head poking out. Thea giggled.

Ben came up to her and looked at what she was laughing out. He didn't even hold his laughter but let it out.

Thea hushed him, in case someone heard them.

Ben closed his mouth and went to the others, tears running down his cheeks.

Thea sat down next to Kai and sighed. Why were people pretending to be tough? She mentally slapped herself. Like she doesn't do that.

Someone touched her shoulder and she turned around. Olivia gave her a black mug with tea. Thea smiled at her in thanks.

Olivia went back and Thea continued on staring at Kai.

-Stop staring at me; it's creepy.-She heard him say, after some time passed. She jumped lightly. Thankfully, she didn't spill her tea.

Kai's eyes were still closed. Thea pretended she didn't hear him but still kept looking at him.

Kai opened his eyes suddenly.

-I said stop staring.-He said, looking straight into her eyes. Thea looked down in embarrassment.
-Thanks for the blanket.-He added.

Thea looked at him and nodded. He tried to get out of it.

Thea put the cup down and helped him get out of it.

-Thanks.-He mumbled. Thea stretched her out hand out to touch his nose.

Kai froze at the touch. Her hand moved to his forehead and cheeks.

-You're warmer, but still pretty cold.-She said. She gave him the cup of tea. –This will warm you up.

Kai looked at the cup and carefully took it, trying not to touch her fingers. He sipped a little bit and looked at her.

-How are you feeling? Does anything hurt?-Thea asked. Kai shook his head. He finished drinking the tea and put the mug on the ground.

-Why, are you worried?-He asked, his voice laced with sarcasm.

-A bit.-Thea shrugged. –You want more tea or anything to eat?

-Nah, I'm good.-He said, lying down again. –Wake me up when everyone is gonna go to sleep.-He turned his back on her and closed his eyes.

Thea nodded, and continued on sitting there, watching him. The wind blew and she shivered. Kai groaned and turned to face her.

-Get in.-He said, giving her a half of the blanket. Thea hesitated for a second and laid down next to him. She was on her back with eyes closed, as Kai was on his side, looking at her face.

She looked so beautiful and peaceful. A few minutes later, Kai heard Thea's soft snores. He smiled a little bit at that.

Slowly, he brought his hand close to her hair. Right when he was about to touch it, he brought it away.

He can't.

He can't have her.

A/N: Hey, guys! Sorry for not updating for a quite long time. I was supposed to update yesterday, but I didn't finish the chapter. Better late than never, right?

Anyways, thank you for reading and voting! I love hearing that you guys like reading my book. Hope you enjoy this chapter!

<3