Prologue

San Diego, California

The smell of stale cigarette smoke and Alcohol hung in the air as the men sat around the round poker table. Bets were quite high and many have folded in fear of losing their millions. All except one man who believed he could run with the big guys.

Mark Anderson believed he was the best at poker. His ego was just too large as he went up against one of the most powerful men in the State, Lucas Carter.

Lucas was nothing but the Devil himself, he used women, made millions of dollars just by flicking his wrist and made grown men fall at his feet. He wasn't the type of man to mess with but Mark, wanted to prove he could stand up to him. This has been attempted more than once but noone realized that Lucas made the game and knew all of the tricks to bring men to their knees.

Lucas was not a man of patience, his cold demeanor was beginning to pay off and watched with a smirk as the round man in front of him began to sweat as he looked over the cards in his hands. Knowing all too well that Mark Anderson has lost his bet.

"Give it up Mark and let me claim my prize already" The man in front of him glanced up, fear evident in his brown eyes.

Lucas was beginning to lose his patience, his frustration showing on his handsome face.

Ever so slowly Mark lowered his cards, placed them on the table and with a huff said " I fold. " Hurt and betrayal shown in his face and voice but Lucas didn't care, he just wanted what was owed to him.

Standing up from his chair, Lucas looked over at Mark and leaned over the table " you have 2 days to get me my money or else" he told the old man.

"M-Mr. Carter, please I need more time" Mark begged of him, hope and worry written all over his face.

Lucas marched around the table, his face seething with anger and his voice cold as ice, grabbed Mark by his collar and brought him closer to his face. "Two days or else" he growled, shoving Mark away from him as if he disgusted him, Lucas turned on his heal and walked out.

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧
Two days later, Mark Anderson walked into the Carter Mansion feeling lost. He wasn't sure what the outcome would be, especially when he admits to Lucas that he doesn't have the money, he never did. That night while playing poker Mark had prayed he would win but until he started to see what little money he had, begin to slip from his hands. He told himself to stop that night before it would get out of hand but here he was, about to beg for Mercy and to the one and only Lucas Carter. Mark knew what he was risking and what he will lose but he no choice. This was all or nothing and Mark had decided once he crossed the threshold, that he was all in.

"Lucas? Mr. Anderson is here to see you" Bentley informed Lucas, not liking to interrupt his employer as he worked.

"Thank you Bentley. Show him in please" Lucas was only kind to his staff but loathed everyone else, Including his own family.

The door to his study opened and Lucas turned in his chair to face Mark.

"I believe you are here to hand over your debt?"

Mark rung his hands in his shirt, as the nerves racked through his body. "I-I'm broke sir, I needed more time b-but..." Before he could finish Lucas rushed to him and shoved him against the door.

"If you think you can walk in here and demand more time you have another thing coming." His voice had lacked compassion and the tone almost brought Mark to his knees.

"But I-I have a proposition, just please hear me out. I promise it will be worth your time Mr. Carter" Mark shuddered as he looked into the eyes of the devil. A smirk played on Lucas' face and let go of Marks shirt.