Chapter Twelve

(I had to edit this Chapter there was an error, so sorry!!)

The next morning, Arianna found herself in front of Lucas' study. All night she laid in her bed and replayed Lucas' words in her head. She knew he had wanted to find love again but he was holding back. Lifting her hand to the door, she took a deep breath and knocked.

"Come in" His deep voice came from behind the door and she felt her stomach flip.

"good morning Lucas" she said with a smile when she entered the room. She felt her nerves taking over her body with each step she took. Her eyes roamed over her husband and blushed. He was wearing a tight black shirt that showed off his muscular arms and tattoos. She hadn't paid much attention to his tattoos until now. She wasn't one for tattooed men but she loved them on him. Taking a deep breath she took a seat across from him.

Lucas smiled at her before looking back at his computer " good morning Ari, what brings you in here?"

She had walked into his study for a reason and now that she was sitting across from him, she couldn't seem to form the words. Looking down at her hands, she debated whether or not she should leave or if she should suck it up and ask him about last night. She was falling for her husband.

"Arianna? Are you okay?" At the sound of his deep voice her head snapped up and looked into his gorgeous blue eyes.

Finally finding her voice she looked away and down at her hands "I.. Ah..I wanted to um talk to you about last night"

"What about last night Ari?"

She felt the tears on her cheeks but kept her head down "Us" She whispered.

Lucas sighed and closed his laptop "What about us?"

"I just felt like..like you were opening your heart to me last night and....and I want to know where we stand Lucas, I can never tell with you Lucas. Some days I feel like you're changing and then its over. One day I can feel your warmth and then the next your cold. I'm so confused, Why can't you let me in?" She kept her head down while she spoke, Afraid that he would see the love in her eyes.

Lucas sighed and ran his hand through his hair as he looked over at her "Arianna, do you love me?"

Arianna looked up into his eyes, Tears poured down her face as she answered "Yes, Lucas. I've loved you since I first laid eyes on you. You scare me one minute and then the next you excite me. Some days I cant tell if you hate me or if somewhere deep inside of you if you love me."

Lucas pushed his chair back and stood "I cant, I cant love you Arianna. I'm dead inside, you know this"

Arianna rushed to him and put her hand over his heart "that's not true Lucas, I felt it last night, You can love again. I saw it in your eyes when you held Gabrielle. Just let me in, Please" Her heart was breaking for this man. He could love again but he refuses to let anyone close to him.

Placing his much larger hand over hers, Lucas looked down at their hands "I can't be the man you need Arianna. David was the man you needed sweetheart, not me. I died inside the day my family died. Every time I've loved someone they left me Arianna. You even said so yourself, once you had the money you would leave me. I think it would be best if you left now, I cant risk losing anyone else. This is why I refuse to let a woman into my life"

Lucas pulled away from her but she gripped onto his shirt "I'm not going anywhere Lucas, just let me in. Let your heart feel what you refuse to say to me. I know you care Lucas but you keep running away from your feelings. Stop running away" Pausing she looked into his eyes and placed her hand on his cheek "and run to me. Let me love you, Let me be the one who you want and need. I love you Lucas"