Chapter Twenty- Four

Death. One simple word leaves a huge impact on our lives. Death doesn't discriminate, it doesn't only affect or target just one person. It's a silent killer and creeps up on you when you least expect it. For Lucas, he never thought he would lose Bentley, especially not right now. Losing Bentley broke him.

Since his passing, Lucas remained in his study and refused to see anyone. He wasn't sure how he would be able to cope with this loss. It wasn't the first time he had ever lost someone but Bentley was the only person who meant the world to Lucas.

Staring at the envelope Mark gave him yesterday, Lucas decided that it was time to read whatever was inside. Slowly opening it, he reached inside and pulled out the contents.

The letter on top read 'to my only son', Lucas stopped reading and wondered who the letter was meant for. Bentley had never been married let alone he didn't  have kids. Deciding to read the letter, he leaned back in his chair and read.

'To my son and friend Lucas,

If you are reading this, then you know that I have passed. First I want to say how much I love you son and I'm sorry if I never told you that enough. I don't know where you are or how you will find this letter but I pray that you are safe and enjoying your wife and child.

I know that once this letter reaches you, that you will turn into a cold man again and please believe me when I say I am in peace.

While you have been gone, I went to the doctor and found out that I was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. Please don't feel bad or sad. I am at peace with this. I have lived 65 years but I don't feel my time is up yet. Should I be wrong, I want you to stop grieving the loss of me and go and run to your wife. Arianna will need you just as much as you need her.

Please don't weep for me my son, I will always be with you. I will watch and guide you from above. I'll be the wind and rain. I'll be the sun shinning and the waves crashing. If you need me just talk to me. I will always hear you. I love you son and am truly sorry that you have to find out this way. Take care of my Arianna, she's the woman you need. She can heal your pain. I miss you so much Lucas. Never forget me.

Love Your father and Friend, Bentley'

Tears ran down Lucas' face as he re-read the letter. His heart was breaking. Deciding to listen to what Bentley wrote, Lucas bolted out of the chair and left the study in search of his wife. He needed her, he needed to be told that it will be okay, he needed to feel her love.

Knowing she would be outside on the deck, he went in search of her and once he spotted her, he burst through the glass door and grabbed a hold of her.

"Ari" he cried out as he wrapped her in his arms.

"I know honey, shh. I'm here" her voice thick with emotions, she wrapped her arms tightly around his waist.

Lucas sobbed against her, his body shaking. He held onto her as if she was his lifeline and he was drowning "He's gone" he cried.

Arianna nodded her head, tears poured down her face and shoved her face into his chest "I know" she sobbed. He Squeezed her tighter and together they cried.

♠ ♥ ♣ ♦

The day of the funeral, Arianna felt like she would be sick. She hated funerals and mostly hated that she was going to Bentleys funeral.

Yesterday her and Lucas visited the funeral home and had to create his memorial Cards. She hated the planning part. They had asked Lucas to pick out a nice outfit for Bentley to wear, that part alone was challenging. Next the funeral director had asked them to make a CD for them to play during the viewing and funeral. Lucas was also in charge of that. Arianna and Madison created card board Collage's to be placed next to the casket.