The File

Here is another chapter. Hope you like it. This chapter has some filler, emotions, thriller and mystery. Ignore the typos, error. Unedited.

Chapter 34

Cole's POV

Ding dong

I stirred in my sleep.

Ding dong

I stirred again. I hugged the squishy bear which was on me. The sound is disturbing. Suddenly even the bear moved. What the..?

Ding dong

What is that sound? I opened my eyes to see Evelyn lying beside me with half of her body on me.., and me hugging her sideways. Shit. I removed my hands and slid away only to find Ashton sleeping on he floor.

Ding dong

Okay, now I am done. I got up and reached for my phone on the table to check the time. 10.05 am. I don't even remember falling asleep. I checked the other two phones too, for notification. But nothing. Then from where is that sound..?

Ding dong

I finally located the source of the sound. I went to attend the door, maybe it is one of the parents came to check up on Evelyn.

I opened the door to meet with a well suited man. I gave him a questioning look. He understood that and replied.

"My name is Mathew Rivers. My office called Ms.Jacob yesterday so that we could discuss her inheritance after her parents' sudden demise." He sounded so formal.

I then realized the voicemail from yesterday.

"Yes. Could you give me a minute." I said it as more of a statement and slightly closed the door. I didn't want to smash the door on his face.

I went to the living room and tried to wake Evelyn up. She didn't even budge. I tried waking Ashton up too, instead he let out a snore. No doubt, they are siblings alright. I kicked Ashton and rapidly hit Evelyn's leg simultaneously, which woke them.

"The guy from lawyer's office is here. Get up now." They both got up and Ashton rushed upstairs, while Evelyn just sat there sheepishly.

"Five more minutes" She said and laid back down.

"No, No, No." I pulled both of her hands and made her stand on her feet. She also now went upstairs.

I won't deny that I feel something towards Evelyn. Its not love but some kind of attraction. I would be happy if it turned into something good but given the situation nothing good has happened with me around in her life. Honestly I am staying with Evelyn because of the guilt that is consuming me.

Her parents, my father, Ashton, Natasha, her friends, everyone I knew prevented me from meeting her but in the end we did. This is all may be because of that. She lost everyone in her life because of me. I seriously don't have that sense of 'meant to be' with Evelyn. But as my father said, she was either my blessing or undoing. As far as things have gone, I have been an undoing in her life.

"Is it a bad timing?" Mr.Rivers asked when I went to receive him inside.

"No,no.., just a lazy Monday. That's all." I led him to the living room. He took a seat and started removing files. I excused myself to get decent.

A few minutes later we all three gathered around Mr.Rivers.

"Are you comfortable with discussing in their presence?" He asked Evelyn. She nodded, yes. And instead of beating around the bush, he directly cut to the chase.