The Trying

Here you go... Another chapter....
This is more of a filler chapter but with a cliffhanger.
Thank you for your patience.
There will be grammatical errors.
Not edited.
Enjoy reading.

Chapter 36

Evelyn's POV

I had no idea when I had dozed off. I woke up and was trying to comprehend what happened. The bunker, my father's letter, Cole's speech, all flashed before me.
As Cole said, I should try and indulge myself in this world. All the people I know are trying for me, helping me out, then I guess, even I should do the same for myself or atleast for them.

It was now 7pm. I freshened up and went downstairs. I could hear mixed voices as I walked down the stairs, but it became very quite once I stood before them in the living area.
There was no place to sit. Ashton, Cole, Harry Max and Jude took the three seater and single couches. And the girls took the chairs and stools sitting opposite to the guys. So I also decided to grab a stool from the bar. I am well aware that there are nine pairs of eyes looking at my every move.

I placed the chair in the empty space in the middle empty space, completing a circle. I let out a small sigh. They are not going to start the conversation and if they do it will be about how I am so I should change the topic before it even starts.

"Hey guys. How is college going? Tell me I have not missed much so I can catch up." I asked out loud in front of everyone.

Cole looked up from his phone and smiled at me while all the others were looking at me like I was an alien.
Ashton cleared his throat and answered for the question. "I have already spoken to your Dean and he is aware of the current situation and he said to take your time before returning."
He said this like he was testing the waters.
And continued.., "I have arranged the notes from your proffersors personally, so you won't be having any problems."

I nodded on his completion. All my friends still didn't utter a single word.
"Well, if you guys are staying, should I make some arrangements?" It was Cole who asked this time. Well, he doesn't know that these all guys stay near by. Few nodded no and few mumbled a weak 'no'.
OMG, when are they ever going to stop this?

"I am sorta craving for chocolate fudge icecream. Is there some left in the fridge?" I directed the question to Cole, trying to be normal.

"No. But we can go to the shop and get it, anyways I have to do the grocery shopping for next week." He replied.

Today is a Saturday, one week and 6 days after the loss of my parents. I decided that it's time to move away from this place to have a change of the eerie environment. This house holds good memories but double the bad memories. I can't be here and let it consume me. I shouldn't. Not for the people who are here for me.., atleast.

"So why don't we all go for grocery shopping? Even have dinner outside and go to strike city to bowl?" I suggested.

Everyone looked at me to see if I was kidding. That's it.
"Guys, I am trying here. Trying to be normal. Trying to be the old me. Yes. My parents died. But I didn't. And as someone said I should try for the people who are here for me, so this is me trying and moving on. Throw some bone here and help me."
I sorta yelled. No, definitely yelled. I am done them treating me like a fragile glass. Okay I am broken but that doesn't mean I will be turned to dust.

I looked at each and everyone one. Cole smiled at me while Ashton was looking at Cole, approvingly. Harry looked like he was trying suppress a smile, while all others had a shocking face.
Harry got up and hugged me.
"I missed this 'trying' Evelyn all these days."
I got up and hugged him back, hard.
"I missed me too." I replied.
Soon enough it turned into a group hug.
I could see Cole and Ashton standing out, I gave out my hand and pulled them in too.
I guess this is my new family now.