The Confession

Evelyn's POV

I was panicking. I don’t know how to stop it. All I could ask was one question. Why? All these years I had only those nightmares. But now from nowhere there is a ghost man, a postcard and what not. I was scared. I don’t feel safe in my own house anymore. All I hear is the same rusty hoarse voice. I want to scream and tell everyone about my nightmares. I lie on my bed, staring at the ceiling, I was wondering why my life is haunted.

I heard a knock at my door. My mother was on the other side of the door. “Hey, Eve darling, do you have any plans for tonight?”  When she got no reply, she came in. I heard her gasp. When I looked at in confusion, I looked around. My room is totally messed up.

“What happened Eve?” My mother was confused too.

“Nothing, just packing stuffs for college.”

“Are you fine? You look upset”

“I am fine. I am going to miss everything here. You, Dad and this room, the memories” I let out a sigh.

“It’s all part of growing up. We will miss you more than you can ever imagine, darling.”

I smiled at her response. I hugged her tightly. I will miss her, her hugs, her talk. I wiped out a tear that rolled down my cheek. She kissed my forehead and realized why she really came for.

“Are you having any plans for tonight?”

“Yes, sleepover at Harry’s. Why?”

“We are invited for your dad’s office party.”

“Oh, but I can’t bail out. Sorry mom. “

“It’s okay darling, we will drop you on our way to the party.”

“Thank you mom.” She left the room with that.

I took my phone and messaged Alex.

Evelyn – Hey, do you need a ride?

Alexandria – No, My parents have somewhere to go so they will drop me.

Evelyn – I need to talk to you about the nightmare. Are you free?

Alexandria – Want me to come over?

Do I want her to come over? After good two minutes I replied

Evelyn – No. Something happened yesterday night. After the Ghost said the nightmares are real...

I was half way through my message when my bedroom door swung open to reveal Alex herself.

“You took your time to reply back, so I guessed you wanted me.” Alex shrugged at the end.

I was really happy to see Alex; I hugged her like she was my only hope. And truth to be spoken, she is the only one I can talk to.

“You are not fine at all.” She said releasing from the hug. “Spill the beans.”

“A lot of things happened, Alex. And I am still shaken up.” And so I said her everything, about the call, Luke’s arrival, the attic, I left out the kiss and the ‘talk’.

“So the ghost man can use a phone. Quite a Developed ghost, Eve.” The way she said made me laugh.

“Yeah. I guess so.” I said with a shrug.” I want to know more about the postcard. It was in my attic for ages and I never knew it existed till today.”

“Do your parents know such a postcard exists? Did you talk to them about this postcard?”

“No, my parents have never allowed me to go to the attic. When I do, they ground me. So they don’t know I went up today.”