Chapter XXVI

Roman's POV:

"Well done Neo! I didn't think you'd pull that off by yourself." I couldn't help myself, congratulating Neo was the least I could do from busting me out of Atlas. "Once we get back to Vale we can proceed where we left off and end that gunfighter once and for all." I sat in the copilot seat as Neo flew us back into Vale, but in Forever Fall since we were still wanted. I looked at my scroll as it went off seeing Neo sending me another message. Don't be an idiot please. "He let you live, meaning he did it for someone. If we hunt him he isn't gonna let you walk away alive again. I think it's best we skip town until he moves on, or..." I quite reading it and looked at Neo with a skeptical expression showing. "Neo I'm not gonna skip town because of some old cowboy hell bent on killing criminals left and right." She gave me a serious look and was about to text, but I stopped her saying, "Fine-fine-fine-fine we'll avoid the gunfighter at all costs okay?" She sighed and texted me, "Deal. Also do stay away from Cinder. She's getting more desperate to get rid of him and I strongly believe she's gonna make a move against him with full force that's gonna backfire." I raised an eyebrow to what she sent me and asked, "What makes you say that? Has she really lost it finally?" She nodded no and replied, "Not yet, but she's not far from it. She's sent Emerald and Mercury all over the countryside to find anything we could use against the gunfighter, and all they found are the stories behind his killings, ghosts, and burnt buildings of where he last was decades ago." "Dead bodies huh? I honestly think he'd have a cemetery dedicated to every person he's killed by now." Neo didn't like my comment judging by her expression, but I paid no mind to it as she started to land in an open area where a vehicle was parked near some trees. "If she's really doing all that then you might be right. Why didn't we just fly this airship back to base anyways?" I was curious as she landed the ship and got out making a gesture for her to follow. Outside of the ship she walked to the side and pointed to a symbol on the side with her umbrella showing Atlas Military's property. "Oh." Was all I could say knowing why she didn't want to keep it. She put on her smile and began to walk ahead of me, but I stopped her when I heard an animal make a sound. "What's wrong? Scared of some wild animal?" She texted me. I looked around observing the trees until I spotted a faint silhouette of a horse just sitting there idle eating some grass. I felt my stomach drop as I took a closer look from a far and saw a saddle on its back prompting me to hastefully turn around and say, "Neo get back on now!" "What's wrong Roman?" Wasting no time I grabbed her carefully not hurt her and made my way toward the airship, but didn't get the chance to enter. 'Roman what's go-" I didn't get to finish what she was gonna ask as an explosion erupted from the ship forcing me and Neo into the air for a small time. We landed ten feet further from our last spot as the Atlesian airship erupted into a ball of flames right before us. "Neo?" *groans* "You okay?" I asked rolling over to get up. She rubbed her head and nodded before getting up while grabbing her umbrella. I grabbed my cane as I stood up and looked back once more to see a unholy sight. Shrouded in darkness, outlined by the flames stood the most dangerous man any criminal in Vale wouldn't want to meet. I stood there frozen in my spot as Neo pulled her sword from her umbrella as we both stared down the gunfighter who kept his hands in his coat pockets watching us, not moving, not saying a thing. "Com to finish the job?" I asked trying to distract him. He just stood there looking at us, not breaking eye contact even as he took a cigar from inside his coat and lit it. I took a more firm grasp on my cane and was ready to shoot him, but quickly took notice of something else. He took a step forward and threw something with a small light emitting from it which forced me to focus entirely on that. "Neo duck!" I shouted as I took aim and shot the object in the air causing it to explode. "Fuck!" I quickly fell back from the explosion and leaned up to see the gunfighter moving towards us with a rifle in his hands now. "Neo run!" I shouted grabbing, and putting her on her feet. She opened her umbrella as a shot ranged out and deflected the gunfighter's shot as he started to march towards us with a rifle in hand. "Start to truck now!" I ordered her as I started to fire back at him.