Chapter XXVIII

Pyrrha's POV:

Right as Jaune, Nora, Ren and I started to walk towards the bullhead Ozpin came out of nowhere. "Miss Nikos, would you mind staying behind. There's something I need to talk to you about." I stopped to turn around and saw Ozpin standing there with his cane in hand standing tall. "What is it about?" I asked curious, yet confused. "It would be best if we do it in private. It's of great importance." He replied not changing his demeanor. I looked back at my team getting a hesitant nod from Jaune as Nora and Ren shrugged not sure what to make of it, and I turned back answering, "Very well then." He nodded and started to walk back ahead of me into Beacon not saying a thing which started to get me confused. "I know you must be busy with the Vytal Festival coming up, and the intensive training, but I assure you this is worth your time." He said right before we stopped in front of the elevator. "We're gonna need to go to my office first, there's several people waiting for us." He stated as we got in before he pressed the button to go up. As we went up he stayed quiet which made me feel a bit concerned. Upon the ding the elevator doors opened which caught my attention when I saw Professor Goodwitch, General Ironwood, and someone I've never seen before standing behind them. "Shall we?" Ozpin asked as they nodded and followed him in as we went back down. On the way down Ozpin turned to me and asked, "Have you ever heard of the tale of the four maidens?" I gave him a curious look and chuckled a small bit. "My mother loved that story." He kept his straight stare at me and said, "What if I told you it was true? All of it?" I scoffed as I looked at him, but stopped thinking as the other three gave me a similar stare. "Wha-? Who are you people?" I asked more concerned than before. Professor Good witch quickly spoke up, "You know who we are. We're the same teachers when you arrived here." The mysterious man next to Ironwood then said, "Except we have a part time job." Ironwood then interjected, "We're the protectors of this world." "And we need your help." Ozpin finished. I started to rub my arm as they stood around me as the elevator took us down which lead me to asking them, "Where are we going?" "The vault under the school." Ozpin answered without hesitation. As the elevator started to slow down the door opened with a faint ding going off then stepping out, the four lead the way down the enormous large hall the stood before me. After staring at it for some time I stepped out of the metal box and walked towards Good witch as she looked at me saying, "I'm sure have some questions." I hesitantly replied, "Just one, or two." As we started to walk down the long, giant hall Ozpin called the Vault. I walked alongside Professor Good witch as she explained what the maidens are, how they come and go, but paid some attention to the fourth adult with me down here. He doesn't look like he belongs here, as if he was brought on a last minute call or something. His tall stature, his eerie silence, the faded white shirt and black hat covering his clothes and head, the jingle of metal hanging off the end of his boots with the pistol belt hanging down his hip. He's not from Vale. At least not from the city itself. We came to the end after walking some ways where I saw a young woman asleep in one of two chambers connected to a machine. "Why me? Of all people why me?" I asked waiting for one of them to answer. " As we understand it now, when a Maiden dies, the one who is in her final thoughts is the first candidate to inherit her power." "Why tell me all of this now? Why not wait until I've graduated?" The fourth man whom I knew nothing of, not even his name replied, "Honestly, we've run out of time. I don't know if you've noticed, but things are getting a lot scarier out in the world. Tensions are high. Grimm are growing stronger, more prevalent. And it's not going to be long before the peace we've been enjoying for so long goes out the window." Scared of the idea I asked, "You're not... talking about a war?" "Not a war between nations." Ironwood quickly replied. "We can fill you on the details once we know that you're with us. For now, all you need to know is that two of the Maidens has been attacked. And for the first time in history, one of them had part of her power stolen." The man in grey said. Upon closer inspection I noticed she was alive and asked, "Wouldn't her power... just transfer to the next host?" Ironwood looked at me replying, "Under normal circumstances, yes. But this is a delicate situation. It's not uncommon for the last thoughts of the slain to be of their attacker." Ironwood said while glancing at the young woman. "And to make matters worse, no one's seen the power split like this before. For all we know, it will seek out its other half." After he finished Ozpin stepped in between me and the woman with a static face asking me, "So will you do it? For mankind?" I looked at them and the woman locked in the machine and hesitantly nodded. Professor Goodwitch spoke up saying, "This mustn't be told to anyone at all."