5. An Animagus

Two days later, we're in Transfiguration. Mcg-Minerva is teaching about animagi and I listen in closely. Too bad it's the stuff she'll teach me in the future.

While Severus is studying that night, I take a trip to the Hogwarts Library and read up on animagi. The most helpful book I can find also recommends another book, but I can't find it.

Restricted section, here I come.

I fly over, making sure not to make a sound. Madame Pince stares at the door to the restricted section, trying to catch any movement. Unfortunately for her, I have the power of flight.

Soon, I've got the book I'm looking for. I cast the geminio charm, and put the original back.

I swear I've used that charm more times than anyone else.

I tuck the book into my bag and fly back to the hideout room. Severus is sitting inside.

"What are you doing here, Baby Bird?"

"I was waiting for you to come back. Why did you leave?"

"I was getting this." I pull the book out.

"Where did you get it?"

"Restricted section of the library. The original book is still there, this is a copy."

"So you really do want to become an animagus?"

"Yes. After that, you can tell your parents that you got a free owl."

"From who?"

"Dumbledore. They'll believe you, since Dumbledore does whatever he wants."

"I'm not sure you should do this..." He says slowly. "My house isn't the nicest of places."

"I've see it before."

"I mean... What happens inside it."

"Severus." I sit him down. "What is it?"

"I can't tell you. I just don't think you should come."

I sigh. "You can tell me anything, Baby Bird. Anything at all."

"No, not this. Please."

"When you're ready, then."

He nods. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine. As long as you tell me when the time comes, it's fine."

"I promise I will."

"Good." I hug him, holding his small frame close. "You should get to bed, it's late."

"Okay, Mama Bird. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yes you will." I smile fondly as he waves and departs.

A new mystery, it seems.

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

It takes me a while, but I'm starting to get the hang of changing in between human and animal. Sometimes I get stuck as an owl and I need Severus to change me back.

I'm walking through a corridor with Severus, and I bump into someone. I cover my mouth, trying not to say anything.

Nobody's there.

I put my hand out, and touch somebody. An invisible somebody.

"Pst! Belle, it's me."

"Haz-Bathilda? Oh my Merlin, can I call you Bath?"

Severus looks around. "Mama Bird, what's up?"

"Well, I found Hazel."

"I kind of stole your idea." She says.